Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
26 March 2014, 20:43,
RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture
(26 March 2014, 19:21)Midnitemo Wrote: I know its sounds picky , pedantic possibly but you have to use the correct description/title of something , you can't use you're own preferred name just cos you don't like or agree with the new official name... it leads to missunderstandings and mistakes...not having a go at yokel's just like stuff right so we all know what we are talking about.

I think that the problem is the SW boundaries being referred to by NR and Midnitemo are the OLD "Political" boundaries created by John Major in 1994 and abolished by the coalition Government in 2011 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_England

These political boundaries were created for 'Administrative Reason' only and are not the 'Geographic'; 'Cultural' or 'Historic' boundaries accepted by the people living in the areas.

For example people in Gloucester and Swindon would not normally describe themselves as being from the South West; even people from Bristol would normally refer to themselves as coming from the 'Westcountry' rather than the SW.

Looking at the nine (OLD, now defunct!) administrative zones of England, the problem also exists with the South East, afterall how many of us would genuinely say that the New Forest was located in the South East!!

So when talking about regions I think we need to very clear about what we mean and the use of the South West as including Hampshire; Wiltshire; Gloucestershire etc are not really very conducive to the discussion and are simply being used to justify or argue against specific points of view (by both sides!).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devon and Cornwall will be inundated with refugees? Ifs, maybes, and conjecture - by Devonian - 26 March 2014, 20:43