Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Bug In
8 April 2014, 22:04,
RE: Urban Bug In
Thanks for all the constructive replies.

The front bedroom has an open grate and the living room could easily be converted back too. The missus has always fancied a trendy log burning stove.

The crawl space is barely 6 inches. It is just dirt under there so I could excavate a bigger space. I'd love to excavate another cellar, only a little bit of underpinning required.

I have thought about another exit and I do have a roof light giving access to my roof and therefore everyone elses roof. I can travel the length of my street and the street parallel, 400m in all. I can set up an OP over the arterial route or the other end of the street.

The victorian sewer flows 30m downhill under gravity so it would have to back up a fair way to reach us. If it does there is always the 40 gallon plastic drum and sawdust.

The house is right on the pavement, no front garden. there is a small, obscured window into the cellar but not big enough for even a child to get through.

I have a 3 yr old so always look knackered. I'd obviously try to eek supplies out so shouldn't look too healthy compared to everyone else.
I have thought of getting those metal sheets you see over boarded up houses. I'd put them up to look like I was securing the place before leaving and the access the house via the roof and stay put. Obviously no log burner when I'm not suposed to be there.

I have looked at a 120w portable PV panel that I could fold up and take with me if needed. Need to look at more off grid solutions.

The thing I worry about most is my exit routes from the street. I'm at least a mile and a half from the nearest open countryside. It would be a torturous route which ever way I went. I have my eye on 200 acres of woodland 10 miles away which is doable in a night before sunrise even in summer. Plan to set up a hammock 30 foot up as an OP to scout it out.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin

Messages In This Thread
Urban Bug In - by SlyUrbanFox - 8 April 2014, 17:37
RE: Urban Bug In - by NorthernRaider - 8 April 2014, 18:22
RE: Urban Bug In - by Midnitemo - 8 April 2014, 18:31
RE: Urban Bug In - by Lightspeed - 8 April 2014, 18:47
RE: Urban Bug In - by Rush2112 - 8 April 2014, 20:31
RE: Urban Bug In - by SlyUrbanFox - 8 April 2014, 22:04
RE: Urban Bug In - by NorthernRaider - 9 April 2014, 09:13
RE: Urban Bug In - by SlyUrbanFox - 9 April 2014, 09:35
RE: Urban Bug In - by NorthernRaider - 9 April 2014, 09:52
RE: Urban Bug In - by SlyUrbanFox - 10 April 2014, 00:08
RE: Urban Bug In - by Midnitemo - 10 April 2014, 09:05