Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle
28 April 2014, 20:03,
A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle
Just checked a post and the suggestion was that of a car as a BOV. Brilliant. I totally agree. But...and there's always a but...the comment went on about a car as a shelter.

Now, being a bushcraft nutter, I have to admit that a car would work as a brilliant water shelter and just as good as a lightning storm shelter too.

However, the one issue I have with a car as a 'general shelter' is that when the outside weather gets cold, a car will VERY QUICKLY lose heat and become a cold store. One of the reasons for this is that the car is made of metal, which will get cold very quickly. There is only a small amount of thermal mass in a normal car, so it would not hold heat for long.

In a winter situation, genuinely, if I was bugging out with my car, I would opt to build a shelter nearby. The reason is that I would be able to create a much warmer debris hut or even just use debris over a tarp shelter, as a means of creating a lot of insulation and maintaining my core temperature. I might take out the back seat from the car as a sleeping mat, but I don't think the rest of it would be any good.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Scythe13 - 28 April 2014, 20:03
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Devonian - 28 April 2014, 20:35
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Scythe13 - 28 April 2014, 21:15
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Devonian - 28 April 2014, 21:33
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Mortblanc - 28 April 2014, 21:51
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by SlyUrbanFox - 28 April 2014, 22:16
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by CharlesHarris - 29 April 2014, 02:21
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by BeardyMan - 29 April 2014, 09:40
RE: A Car as a Bug Out Vehicle - by Mortblanc - 29 April 2014, 12:13