Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting Carry?
24 June 2014, 18:20,
RE: Hunting Carry?
Most of my firearms and crossbows are set up with quick detachable swivel studs and I have a variety of slings depending on the situation and firearm.

For range trips and transport in my vehicle I have hard shell cases padded with foam. Old guns get tossed in with the lose gear and I have never noticed any of my old surplus guns going off zero due to speed bumps.

Modern scopes are not nearly as fragile as one would think. Scopes have now seen 500 years of development and 250 years use on military weapons. Red dot reflex sights have had 100 years use on the battle field. Most of the devices are more rugged than the people carrying them.

The addition of optics to almost every military inventory attests to this. I believe your present Enfield was designed with a built in scope. The use of optics by the US military is so widespread that seeing a rifle without optics is unusual. They seem to have held up well under the rigors of combat so I doubt that anything I can do walking from the house to the field will affect them much.

I sent a "red dot" optical device to my Son in a "care package" while he was in Iraq back in '05. Even that cheap $50 sight held up under use on a SAW, and he took it back when deployed for a second tour.

Were I to bounce one off the concrete to the point that I was suspect of damage I do have both laser and optical bore sighters to get back on zero. I set up new guns and change my setups so often I depend on the devices to get me on zero quickly with minimal ammo expended.

If your scopes will not hold zero you need to be looking for better glass, better mounts or better adhesives.

I have found over the years that most scope problems are not "scope related", they are due to mount screws shooting lose or mounts shifting under recoil. Proper mounting with the use of proper adhesives on the screws is mandatory.

While I am not a scope snob that insists on paying twice as much for a scope as I do for a rifle I do suggest that one get off the bottom of the scope market if one is shooting a good quality rifle or putting their life and table fare on the line. Many of the cheap scopes (less than 20 pounds) will fall apart in your hands after a few rounds.

Even with that warning there are some real low cost jewels out there made by Barska, NcStar, Beman and a few other firms. Just do not buy their bottom line efforts.

Messages In This Thread
Hunting Carry? - by Scythe13 - 24 June 2014, 16:19
RE: Hunting Carry? - by bigpaul - 24 June 2014, 17:20
RE: Hunting Carry? - by Mortblanc - 24 June 2014, 18:20
RE: Hunting Carry? - by CharlesHarris - 24 June 2014, 18:40
RE: Hunting Carry? - by Mortblanc - 24 June 2014, 19:08
RE: Hunting Carry? - by Talon - 24 June 2014, 20:04
RE: Hunting Carry? - by Steve - 24 June 2014, 22:37
RE: Hunting Carry? - by Mortblanc - 25 June 2014, 00:54
RE: Hunting Carry? - by CharlesHarris - 3 August 2018, 19:25
RE: Hunting Carry? - by Keith - 25 July 2017, 07:12
RE: Hunting Carry? - by Billy02 - 3 August 2018, 08:42