Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP update - Death
22 September 2014, 12:39,
Sad  AP update - Death
It has been a while since my last update and things have not gone well.
There have been a series of unfortunate events in my green house. The first was fish not eating food leading to waste food on the bottom of the tank. I got a pond vacuum off eBay and go rid of nearly all the waste worms etc off the bottom of the tank but I also lost a lot of water.

Then the courgettes in the beds grew big and the fruit hanging off the tank some how led to a large loss of water. Then due to a miscommunication with my girlfriend we lost all the courgette plants out of the grow bed. The fish seemed fine even with 2/3s of the water gone. Then my siphons stopped working and was hit with more loss of water. It had been a few months anyway so I took the opportunity to remove the pump. To take it apart and clean it. My pump was a big 1000L/hour pump which even though I have a 600L tank seemed to be fine. But when I put it back in the system it suddenly stared being better than when I fist got it. It was causing an overflow in my system so I swapped it for a cheaper 650L/hour pump and slowly increase the water level until I was nearly back to normal when last week disaster struck.

Fish started dying. Some seemed to get swim bladder issues where they float/ swim on their sides or backs. Some just died. I tried salt baths, adding new water even some antibiotics but to no avail. Everyday I would get 4 dead fish. Some days it would even be 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening but always 4 at once. Until nearly all were dead. I captured my last 10 fish and salt bathed them (like I had been recommended) when I came back they were all dead including number 11 who I could not catch at all (he was a ninja)
Now I have no fish. No real idea what happened and if I see relying on them for survival I would be starving.

I will try AP again next year and am learning how to set up a solar powered heater so I can try with tilapia.
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

Messages In This Thread
AP update - Death - by SecretPrepper - 22 September 2014, 12:39
RE: AP update - Death - by Devonian - 22 September 2014, 13:53
RE: AP update - Death - by Skean Dhude - 22 September 2014, 16:46
RE: AP update - Death - by SecretPrepper - 22 September 2014, 18:02
RE: AP update - Death - by Skean Dhude - 22 September 2014, 18:10
RE: AP update - Death - by Straight Shooter - 22 September 2014, 19:18
RE: AP update - Death - by T-oddity - 23 September 2014, 08:12
RE: AP update - Death - by SecretPrepper - 23 September 2014, 11:12
RE: AP update - Death - by Tigs - 23 September 2014, 11:57
RE: AP update - Death - by SecretPrepper - 23 September 2014, 12:51