Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how far back are we likely to go……………..
14 December 2014, 14:50,
So how far back are we likely to go……………..
OK, let’s have a discussion about just how far back civilisation would be pushed following a major event and we ended up in a world without rule of law; ie: no government/authorities; no central services; no mains power; no readily available fuel, medicines or other mass produced items that we are used to relying on.

As we all know, John claims we will end up back in a pre-industrial stone age/dark ages, but I would argue that no matter what the event, that that is unlikely to be the situation and I think (Technology Wise) that we are more likely to end up with the technology/skill levels somewhere along the lines of the Edwardian/First World War periods.

My feeling (rightly or wrongly) is that we have far too much knowledge of things and how they work and that there will be too many things around out that can be cannibalised/converted/reused etc etc. There will also be electricians, mechanics and engineers plus others with useful skills and knowledge who will survive and who will be heavily involved in such matters.

So whilst we may not be capable of building a new nuclear power station, or even a simple HB Pencil, I do believe that we will be able to quickly establish small scale/individual power generating equipment, limited numbers of working vehicles, some form of basic farm mechanisation, and much more. Also given time then much more would be achievable……..

But what do you think?????

Messages In This Thread
So how far back are we likely to go…………….. - by Devonian - 14 December 2014, 14:50