Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Government Considers the Consequences of a Long Term Power Outage
18 July 2015, 15:39,
RE: UK Government Considers the Consequences of a Long Term Power Outage
When I was building one of my houses I was off grid for the first two years before they ran electrical service into my area.

I built a dual system into the house. It was wired for both AC current and had 12V running down the center wall.

I replaced the single battery in my pickup truck with a dual battery and had a deep cycle marine battery as the reserve. 180 amp hours.

There was a light pole in the parking lot at the school that had a plug, so each day I parked t the pole, plugged in and recharged the deep cycle battery.

Each evening I pulled up to the house, plugged the cabin into the truck and had lights.

Usually the charge would hold for most of a weekend if I did not run the TV much. It was always irritating to run out of battery in the middle of an auto race.

I used the system on 12v without an inverter. One is tempted to drain too much power when using standard appliances on the inverter. I even had 12v florescent lights.

I still keep the battery charged up in the shop and still have a couple of the 12v lights handy. I am not sure what became of my 12v microwave and kettle.

Messages In This Thread
RE: UK Government Considers the Consequences of a Long Term Power Outage - by Mortblanc - 18 July 2015, 15:39