Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Maps in your BOB
8 January 2012, 20:47,
The Maps in your BOB
The Maps in your BOB

I’ve gotten round to thinking I may try and source a high quality UK specific atlas / road map book to add to my BOB, I’ll try and explain the logic in my thinking. But it’s going to have to be quite small and compact, no more than say A5.

I’ve got OS Land Rangers 1:50,000 for the immediate area but there is a definite possibility that (A) I may have to travel far after TSHTF or (B) I may already be a long way from home when TSHTF and I need to be able to navigate back home ergo the need for a decent road atlas in my BOB

I have zero faith in GPS systems for multiple reasons, such as reliance on batteries, the EU or US govt turning their systems off during a crisis, the EU or US govt altering the accuracy settings (lat, long, alt) deliberately (they actually do that quite often to bugger up other nations using our GPS systems to fire missiles at us).

I also keep reading that the atomic clocks in every GPS satellite have to re-calibrated either every day or twice every day depending on who you believe, and that if the recalibrating signals are not sent within a week the satellites will lose their accuracy and start to turn themselves off. So if a major collapse occurs the GPS system could fail for various reasons far too easily. And that is not including some hostile nation shooting at the satellites.

Hence I think it’s probably wise if I buy some modern 2012 issue compact road atlases to share around my BOBS.

Messages In This Thread
The Maps in your BOB - by NorthernRaider - 8 January 2012, 20:47
RE: The Maps in your BOB - by Skean Dhude - 8 January 2012, 20:57
RE: The Maps in your BOB - by bigpaul - 9 January 2012, 12:47
RE: The Maps in your BOB - by mikebratcher69 - 9 January 2012, 13:59
RE: The Maps in your BOB - by Skean Dhude - 9 January 2012, 14:26
RE: The Maps in your BOB - by mikebratcher69 - 9 January 2012, 14:59
RE: The Maps in your BOB - by grumpy old man - 10 January 2012, 01:21
RE: The Maps in your BOB - by Preacher - 10 February 2012, 18:28
RE: The Maps in your BOB - by Timelord - 11 February 2012, 01:49