Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trad or modern
8 March 2016, 18:37,
RE: trad or modern
old was modern once

my kit and methods are are a mix of what works be it pre palaeolithic or space age.
i tend to try different styles for the same task and try to avoid have a fixed idea of "this is how to do that"

metal blades are rather nice but a well knapped flint might be what is available .
much as i often favour the modern there are times when the old tool is actually a better tool for the job for example a flint scraper is the best tool i know of for prepping hides/pelts for tanning.
conversely a kelly kettle is both a good water carrier and a super multi fuel fire pit/tinderbox/still base etc etc (if there was a titanium version rather than the al one i have it would be even better kit )

thinking of old and new i was reading one of the firearm threads and recon the black powder musket did not replace the bow it replaced the skills required to use a bow effectively.im fairly sure i could show a better rate of fire and accuracy over assorted distances and perhaps even greater "in that patch over there" distances with my longbow than anyone with a brown bess and it would probably give better terminal ballistics with the right head for the target in most circumstances.it is far lighter to carry than a musket and 60 rounds.powder,fettling kit etc ,works in the wet and wind and the ammunition is reusable if recovered.by the time it is worn out i could probably make a new one of some sort .
plus it does not make a massive boom which can be a huge advantage.

in a long term shtf situation i recon carpentry and bow skills are easier to learn than gunsmithing ,chemistry ,engineering and shooting skills but having both styles available is sensible.

i spose ancient or modern depends on what works and what is available.

Messages In This Thread
trad or modern - by Sunna - 1 February 2015, 13:14
RE: trad or modern - by Devonian - 1 February 2015, 13:51
RE: trad or modern - by bigpaul - 1 February 2015, 14:33
RE: trad or modern - by BeardyMan - 1 February 2015, 14:46
RE: trad or modern - by Tartar Horde - 1 February 2015, 15:00
RE: trad or modern - by Midnitemo - 1 February 2015, 16:14
RE: trad or modern - by Mortblanc - 1 February 2015, 19:04
RE: trad or modern - by T-oddity - 1 February 2015, 20:22
RE: trad or modern - by dpack - 8 March 2016, 18:37