Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defending my home against intruders
1 February 2015, 15:01, (This post was last modified: 1 February 2015, 15:04 by Sardo_Numpsa.)
Defending my home against intruders
Hey everyone,

I have not posted in a while. The last thing I posted was something along the lines of increases in automation technology meaning less demand for labour, and as most people have only their labour to sell to make a living people should start thinking about how to prepare for a future of few work opportunities. Apparently not much of a concern around here. Don't come asking me for a loan = ).

Anyway, I had an incident the other night where some kids were breaking into my neighbours house. A friend who is staying at my place saw them and shouted at them to piss off. They proceeded to pelt her and my house with stones for five minutes, hurting my friend (not seriously thankfully) and breaking four windows in the process. Double glazing, still waiting to hear from insurers.

So this has got me thinking what would happen if one of these brazen little buggers, or anybody else for that matter, broke into my house when myself, my wife and my kid were here. I am a skinny white dude nobody is going be alarmed by me rushing down the stairs in my pyjamas.

So I have been googling weapons for self-defence and I am thinking a Katana is the way to go. There have been changes in the law here and you cannot buy a blade over 50cm made prior to 1954. Some of these swords are very expensive but I have seen a few WWII era Katanas for £350'ish. A lot I know but what price can you put on safety, and they look badass.

From what I understand if you confront somebody in your house and as long as you don't use excessive force you are free to defend yourself and your family. Hopefully just the presence of a sword would be enough to scare somebody off, at the worst they may need a few stitches. Nobody need get seriously injured.

What are your thoughts? Impractical? Legally risky? Inefficient allocation of resources? Just crazy?

Edit: you cannot buy a blade over 50cm made *POST* 1954

Messages In This Thread
Defending my home against intruders - by Sardo_Numpsa - 1 February 2015, 15:01
RE: Defending my home against intruders - by bigpaul - 1 February 2015, 15:28
RE: Defending my home against intruders - by Sunna - 1 February 2015, 15:53
RE: Defending my home against intruders - by bigpaul - 1 February 2015, 15:58
RE: Defending my home against intruders - by bigpaul - 1 February 2015, 16:08
RE: Defending my home against intruders - by bigpaul - 1 February 2015, 18:12
RE: Defending my home against intruders - by bigpaul - 1 February 2015, 18:27
RE: Defending my home against intruders - by Talon - 1 February 2015, 19:41
RE: Defending my home against intruders - by MaryN - 1 February 2015, 20:40
RE: Defending my home against intruders - by Smudge - 2 February 2015, 09:00