Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Far to Take Things
2 March 2015, 21:26,
How Far to Take Things
I am always interested in the differing approaches to "prepping" or "survivalism" taken by the members of the Forum. I think we are all aiming for the same things - being able to cope or survive the various life events or disasters that could impact on our lives. But just how far are you going with your arrangements? Are you stocking up on clothing, spare tools, odd bits of wood or interesting pieces of metal - just in case they could have uses? Or do you stick to stocking up on the basic foods, loo rolls, medicaments and suchlike?

My own approach to things was brought sharply into focus over the weekend whenm, clearing out a cupboard, I paused over a couple of old torn pillowcases and thought....ooh, yes, better keep those just in case. Just in case of what? A world shortage of pillowcases? Material that I could turn into handkerchiefs if there was an epidemic of sneezing? And I realise I may be getting a teensy bit paranoid. It's not as if my storage cupboards don't already contain a goodly supply of linen, but I am starting to feel a bit weighed down by my own pre-planning. I need to streamline things a bit and start to deal with relevant items. I'm certainly not nearly old enough to even remember the World War II soap shortages, but I still hoard the stuff. Can you be genetically affected by this? Am I pre-programmed to hoard and gloat over piles of things I might "possibly" need?

I can see how I am getting to this stage; the news everyday is pretty horrible and it would be a natural thing to try and haul up the drawbridge and man the battlements, but I think I need to have a holiday and stand down (just a bit). I think I may throw out just one of those pillowcases - I'll keep the rest (just in case).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Messages In This Thread
How Far to Take Things - by MaryN - 2 March 2015, 21:26
RE: How Far to Take Things - by Mortblanc - 2 March 2015, 22:50
RE: How Far to Take Things - by Steve - 2 March 2015, 23:45
RE: How Far to Take Things - by T-oddity - 3 March 2015, 09:12
RE: How Far to Take Things - by bigpaul - 3 March 2015, 09:43
RE: How Far to Take Things - by Steve - 3 March 2015, 22:52
RE: How Far to Take Things - by Midnitemo - 4 March 2015, 02:03
RE: How Far to Take Things - by Mortblanc - 4 March 2015, 06:56
RE: How Far to Take Things - by Steve - 4 March 2015, 08:27
RE: How Far to Take Things - by bigpaul - 4 March 2015, 10:23
RE: How Far to Take Things - by Sunna - 4 March 2015, 11:57