Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying New to Recycle
5 May 2015, 19:58,
Buying New to Recycle
This probably sounds bonkers, but bear with me. I collect jam jars, glass jars and anything that has a possible storage use. I make our own jam, conserve, cordials and hedgerow wine. Well, I have discovered that OH has a penchant for a particular beer that comes in those lovely bottles with the porcelain stopper - remember tizer and all those other fizzy goodies? Those bottles are brilliant for storing liquids - think elderberry champagne or homemade cordials - and best of all you can replace the rubber seals if they wear out. I make no apologies for encouraging OH to indulge himself on occasion, and I pounce gleefully on the bottle before it hits the recycling bin. Then it occurred to me that carefully choosing what to buy with a view to recycling something was quite a practical way to shop, not to mention tye potential savings to me made on storage items.

So now I head for glass jars with nice stoppers (Douwe Egbert do a lovely one and it's half price Morrisons or FarmFoods if anyone is interested), and jam jars that have replaceable lids like the Bonne Maman range. You might pay a little bit extra to start off with, but the future savings would certainly make it worthwhile in sheer practicability.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Buying New to Recycle - by MaryN - 5 May 2015, 19:58
RE: Buying New to Recycle - by Tarrel - 5 May 2015, 20:36
RE: Buying New to Recycle - by T-oddity - 5 May 2015, 21:18
RE: Buying New to Recycle - by MaryN - 5 May 2015, 21:22
RE: Buying New to Recycle - by Phil - 6 March 2017, 17:29
RE: Buying New to Recycle - by Jonas - 8 March 2017, 17:21