Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Golden Horde ready to come down YOUR street
26 October 2015, 21:18, (This post was last modified: 26 October 2015, 22:06 by Barneyboy.)
RE: The Golden Horde ready to come down YOUR street
NR

Answering your paragraphs one by one.

Genocide Convention
A state MAY (My emphasis) ask an international body to intervene. Overall you may be right that it is the responsibility of the Security Council. I would argue however that such responsibility is a 'delegated' responsibility and that ultimate responsibility lies with member states. If I see a big bully about to kick the shit out of a small person, I'm going to consider acting whether or not TPTB have been consulted. Clear and Present Risk.

Re Being an Army Veteran
I understand that you can appear rather jaundiced when someone else says pick up a gun. But frankly thats what you are paid for. If you dont want to do it then you shouldn't have joined.

Zimbabwe and North Korea.
I couldn't agree more except for your comment about oil. Thats a particularly craven view of politics. In the case of Zimbabwe, no other African country would support our action and indeed they are actively supporting Mugabe. In the case of North Korea, they have a very big bomb but I believe that their time will come.

Afghanistan. I think you are absolutely right. That step in law in regards to women was a huge step backward. But I'm sorry you cannot blame the UK and the US that Mr Karzai passed that law. If you are introducting elements of self government into such backwards areas, you are going to have some unpleasant situations but as I said earlier have the responsibility of imagining what the alternative would be .

With regard to the Balkans - we did stop the massacre - IIRC we bombed Belgrade and Slobodan is on trial. If you are referring to the genocide at Srebrenica, then yes, the stupid and cowardly Dutch UN 'peacekeepers' looked on. Shame on them. It's another reason why I don't trust the UN to peacekeep.

Overall I guess many people but here and in the US have turned to an isolationist stance. "Lets not get involved".

I'm not like that. To repeat - it's time we stopped capitulation to dictatorship, racism, aggression, and totalitarian ideologies

+++

P.S. I'm quite happy to have this thread 'locked' or to get back to prepping.Your wish is my command

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Golden Horde ready to come down YOUR street - by River Song - 26 October 2015, 21:18