Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve got me thinking
9 January 2016, 23:25,
Steve got me thinking
Steve made a post recently and posed the question....he wished that old craftsmen/women should have a venue where they could teach old skills to unemployed people and the alike ....and i think its a great idea , two years back i was asked to do a talk at a local school , the age group was six and seven year old's .....the subject was making STUFF out of wood .....i agree ....just for the trip....so i have a think, and come up with a BOAT ...a sailing boat ....when i was about five or six years old my grandfather made me a boat ....as he made this boat in front of me i remember the precision...the lines....it had to be RIGHT ...a carpenter by trade from Pembroke West Wales and a true craftsman make no mistake....just because this mere boat was for his grandson ...did not mean a short cut in the craft and skill in the making of it .....it was produced from either 3"x2" or 4"x2" the mast was dowel along with the sail beam ...these were attached by hook and eye from net curtain wire.....i had to make the Sail from some cotton pillow cover ...."ask your mother" he said....i did after... a coat of shellac ....i was ready to set sail ....and indeed i did .....Spain i think it was....i make the boat , cut the dowel , sling some tools in a bag .....and off i go to do the gig....i am introduced as Oliver's granddad .....i pull the boat out of the bag ....a big wow go's up ...i am swamped by kids.....i drill out the hole for the dowel ...and tap it in with a mallet ....another wow go's up ...i drill pilot holes for the hook and eyes....screw them in.....another wow go's up.....i now explain that the class along with Miss Cooke
will now have to make the sail before she's ready for the sea and they would have to paint her up nice to...... then Miss Cooke said okay children Oliver's granddad will show you how to measure and cut some paper sails from some card using a scissors ..and the best one will be used on the lovely boat....not only that but Oliver's granddad will judge the best one.....for two years i have had death threats, buckets of hate mail , spat at in Aldis, and many attempts at being tripped up...with regards my judging abilities ......seriously i found that afternoon a pure joy and very worthwhile and fulfilling....its not about a boat ...it was about smiling faces and genuine interest HOW things are made and even better the need for them to participate .....they wanted to make their OWN BOAT....back to the point what do you think of STEVE's idea.

Messages In This Thread
Steve got me thinking - by Straight Shooter - 9 January 2016, 23:25
RE: Steve got me thinking - by T-oddity - 10 January 2016, 09:45
RE: Steve got me thinking - by Skean Dhude - 10 January 2016, 10:47
RE: Steve got me thinking - by BeardyMan - 12 January 2016, 22:21
RE: Steve got me thinking - by Straight Shooter - 12 January 2016, 23:15
RE: Steve got me thinking - by bigpaul - 13 January 2016, 10:09
RE: Steve got me thinking - by Straight Shooter - 13 January 2016, 17:33
RE: Steve got me thinking - by bigpaul - 13 January 2016, 17:45