Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tin Roof Recommendation
2 April 2016, 09:23,
RE: Tin Roof Recommendation
(1 April 2016, 20:57)Midnitemo Wrote: I have picked a tin roof as opposed to tiles for some of the same reasons on my soon to be erected workshop , gone for a pent as this gives me the best southerly orientation for the solar panels I plan to install , the roof will feed into an IBC at the south end of the workshop , I was initially concerned with the condensation/insulation issues but the roof has a drip tray and membrane to help with this , not sure what the harvest is likely to be of a 250sq ft steel roof but I'm hoping once the IBC fills up i'll be able to keep it fairly full , going to insulate the IBC too.

Midnight,

Your setup will be fine. Condensation should not be a problem, provided you install the vapour barrier correctly and vent the ridge. PM me if you need a drawing of the venting method on my roof. In fact quite the opposite of condensation, you'll find that you have a great drying system. One caveat: I don't know what you mean by a pent roof, but assume its pitched? if you keep the pitch steep condensation on the underside of it will run down the inner surface by surface attraction and gravity, dripping into the gutters from the underside.

Steve has some experience with condensation under metal roof structure of his workshop I seem to remember. He may be able to add advice.

Insulation: For sure the metal roof will transmit temperatures into and out of the loft space very efficiently! ( exactly the opposite of insulation) Two choices. Make a cold loft by fitting a ceiling with traditional GF insulation above. Or create a warm loft with solid insulation on the underside of the vapour barrier.

One added benefit of a metal roof that should appeal to you: It mages for an excellent ground plane for antennas, and even lets mag mounts be used for a fully demountable solution .
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

Messages In This Thread
Tin Roof Recommendation - by Lightspeed - 1 April 2016, 10:15
RE: Tin Roof Recommendation - by NorthernRaider - 1 April 2016, 10:49
RE: Tin Roof Recommendation - by Lightspeed - 1 April 2016, 12:06
RE: Tin Roof Recommendation - by NorthernRaider - 1 April 2016, 12:55
RE: Tin Roof Recommendation - by Midnitemo - 1 April 2016, 20:57
RE: Tin Roof Recommendation - by Lightspeed - 2 April 2016, 09:23
RE: Tin Roof Recommendation - by Lightspeed - 2 April 2016, 09:53