Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the outdoors dangerous ?
26 April 2018, 04:16,
RE: Is the outdoors dangerous ?
Once again there seems to be a failure to understand the size of the U.S.

Pennsylvania is about the size of the UK and a quick check shows that there are more than 400 universities and colleges inside the state, 200 of them state sponsored, and they serve more than 500,000 students.

To say that "one" of them has dropped their "outing program" is of little concern or impact.

PA is also located in a diverse region of rolling hills to ridge and valley mountains and contains some of the best outdoor action in the eastern U.S. I know of very few universities in that situation where getting a group of 18-22 year olds to go on a weekend hike without faculty supervision would be a real big problem. You could probably stand on the steps of the library and scream "anyone want to go hiking?" and have 100 people gather round.

If that fails to get the proper response follow it with "I have beer!" and the outing is a certainty.

Most universities have very strong outdoor programs and even go so far as to rent canoes, Kayaks, tents, camping gear and other equipment. I know my old university still does because my son is enrolled in the graduate program and rents stuff constantly. Their Phys Ed department, I guess that is called health and wellness now, has credit courses in camping and outdoor recreational activities.

Legal concerns are generally covered by issuance of waivers and requirements that students take equipment orientation classes before they are issued equipment.

But we do live in a lawsuit crazy world. In the U.S. 1 person out of each 5 is engaged in a legal action so some sort. But in our system any action of law must be initiated by a "suit" being filed. That is the means by which we "petition the court" for redress of grievances, or offenses and challenge statutes. You want to change a zoning law and the commission (council) will not consider it, you file suit against the zoning commission.

Messages In This Thread
Is the outdoors dangerous ? - by Pete Grey - 25 April 2018, 19:22
RE: Is the outdoors dangerous ? - by MaryN - 25 April 2018, 20:29
RE: Is the outdoors dangerous ? - by Mortblanc - 26 April 2018, 04:16
RE: Is the outdoors dangerous ? - by Pete Grey - 26 April 2018, 19:07
RE: Is the outdoors dangerous ? - by Mortblanc - 27 April 2018, 04:53
RE: Is the outdoors dangerous ? - by Mortblanc - 27 April 2018, 17:28
RE: Is the outdoors dangerous ? - by Pete Grey - 27 April 2018, 23:11