Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crosman 760
16 June 2018, 06:47,
RE: Crosman 760
I have not clocked the BBs since I did the barrel cut but I will in the next few days. I need to get the chrono out and check the speed of the heavy JSB pellets out of the 2 PCP rifles.

I clocked them with 11 and 14 grain pellets when I first got them both but I have not checked the speed on the heavy 18.1 grain pellets and they are the most accurate I have found for either of those rifles.

With 14 grain pellets the Stormrider produces 27ft/lbs and the Gauntlet produces 21. The Gauntlet is a regulated system and it only varies 14fps across the entire 40 shot string.

The Stormrider is not regulated so it has a pressure curve and changes POI slightly as power goes up and down. You have to catch it on the flat part of the curve. I usually only pump it to 17 bar and stop shooting around 12 bar for best accuracy, which limits me to about 15 shots.

Even with a power curve the little Stormrider will put the JSB pellets into 1/2" @25 yards. The Gauntlet is a bit better.

I will probably not see much change in velocity from the barrel cut. This is the same power plant that is used in the 1377 pistol and this barrel is about the same length as that, I just have a rifle stock on it instead of the pistol grip. Coleman seems to use the same internals on almost all their multi-pump guns.

I will check speeds for both BBs and pellets when I run the test.

"Tuning" springers is easier than most folks would imagine. Polish the inside of the tube, apply some silicone grease to the spring, make some PVC washers and preload the spring as much as possible and still have it cock and you are about there. If you were just below 12 lb before you will be very close to 12 after.

My own problem, if you would believe such, is that my good rifles have too much power to allow me to compete in field target! We have a top limit of 20 ft/lb and both my rifles are above that.

That is why I bought the Umarex Gauntlet. I can work with the regulator and reduce the power enough to get below the limit and still retain the uniform velocity and accuracy.

Messages In This Thread
Crosman 760 - by Mortblanc - 15 June 2018, 18:48
RE: Crosman 760 - by Talon - 15 June 2018, 21:40
RE: Crosman 760 - by Mortblanc - 16 June 2018, 06:47
RE: Crosman 760 - by Mortblanc - 18 June 2018, 00:14