Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expedition Trailer
11 January 2019, 21:39,
RE: Expedition Trailer
Ahhh SS same here, we could do some real damage if we were ever allowed to assemble.

This is a simple cargo trailer with swing rear doors that open the entire rear of the trailer, or only one side.

After it is emptied I believe that will be the first thing I address, a way to secure one door closed and use the other for egress and exit without anyone being able to lock me inside.

I wish I had a side door, but alas, one that would look appropriate is not available and the ones that are available look like they belong on an RV.

I may attempt to cut a new door and save the panel of metal I remove and skin it over plywood to make a new door. It would require considerable trim work to make it look normal and non-RV.

I do plan to have propane and DC by use of a couple of plastic containers a tool box and an "action packer" to hide them. I can mount that on the A frame assembly at the tongue.

I may attempt to build a roof rack of crude form. If I do that properly I think I can partly frame out the lower part to hide a 70 liter fresh water tank I salvaged off another RV several years ago. It I put it on the roof I can gravity feed it for convenience and to possibly eliminate the need for a 12v pump.

I will use solar panels to recharge the battery, but that will be a portable setup due to my area being forested and hot. I need to park the assembly in the shade but set the solar panels in the sun.

Solar is down the list a bit since I intend this as a fair weather use item. A three season rig. I already live under adverse "nearly camping" conditions at home in winter and I am sure not going out to try and die in the frozen wilderness on purpose.

I believe the 180 amp/hr battery I already have would carry me through several days of LED lighting the interior if I augment it with portable solar camping lights. I do not plan on having a microwave or using a blender so the electrics would be for light only, or recharging cordless tools in an emergency.

I also have a 1k gen-set I can toss inside when I expedite my expedition. It might never get used but it would be there. It is a small thing about the size of a 10 liter petrol can.

I am pondering the use of an aluminum framed cot, a futon, or a "folding foam bed/chair" for sleeping arrangements. I already have one of each and I might just try them all and see what works best. I am leaning toward the cot. It can be folded and put out of the way ad I know it sleeps well, I have spent many a comfortable night on it.

I am very anxious to get outside. Just think, I only have 4 months to go before I can go camping without fear of freezing to death!

Messages In This Thread
Expedition Trailer - by Mortblanc - 11 January 2019, 18:34
RE: Expedition Trailer - by Straight Shooter - 11 January 2019, 19:54
RE: Expedition Trailer - by Mortblanc - 11 January 2019, 21:39