Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather Threats & the Egyptian River
13 February 2021, 06:32,
Weather Threats & the Egyptian River
I just got a call from a friend. We have a series of weather systems headed through bringing "severe winter weather" our way. Old CH will probably get a taste of this one along with me.

We have not been above freezing here in a week. Starting Sunday night we will have first sleet and freezing rain turning to snow and continuing for two days. Highs around -4c, some days as low as -10 for a high temp.

Snow stops Wednesday but starts again Thursday. No temp above 0c for the next week.

Everything that falls will freeze so our total accumulation will vary depending on how much is sleet and how much is snow. At any rate we expect between 30-60cm of something.

My friend, who I have thought an intelligent person, says to me, "If the electricity goes out I'm screwed!"

He has lived in this area for his entire life, he is 65. We have winter each year, and we have snow each year. And each year the electricity goes out either short term or long term. It is not something we think "might happen", we absolutely know it is going to happen!

And this is a man that claims to be prepared for war, pestilence, riot, revolution and famine, but he is not prepared for the snow storm that he absolutely, positively, is certain will arrive in two days, and he intends to do nothing further about his situation.

Why do I mention this? Because I have come to realize that there is a portion of the population that does not want to be prepared, they know that bad things are going to happen and they just don't want to deal with the trouble of admitting they need to work their brain around one extra thing.

Same with people that claim to be preppers in any part of the world but refuse to face the realities of their specific social and geographic situations.

As my friend said, "You're screwed", even if you think you're not.

De' Nile, yep it's a river in Egypt.

Messages In This Thread
Weather Threats & the Egyptian River - by Mortblanc - 13 February 2021, 06:32
RE: Weather Threats & the Egyptian River - by bigpaul - 13 February 2021, 10:29
RE: Weather Threats & the Egyptian River - by bigpaul - 14 February 2021, 11:10
RE: Weather Threats & the Egyptian River - by bigpaul - 14 February 2021, 14:12
RE: Weather Threats & the Egyptian River - by bigpaul - 14 February 2021, 14:40
RE: Weather Threats & the Egyptian River - by bigpaul - 14 February 2021, 15:00
RE: Weather Threats & the Egyptian River - by bigpaul - 14 February 2021, 15:53