Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observing German Crisis
19 July 2021, 19:35,
RE: Observing German Crisis
That appraisal is both correct and wrong at the same time.

While the public had no access to cell phone service the network was still working. It was diverted for use by the police and rescue units and no public access was allowed. Everyone takes it for granted the network is out but it is simply shut down to prevent total gridlock of the system.

I have seen this several times and in one instance I was standing beside a police officer in a disaster area and he was talking on his cell phone while mine, and everyone around me, was dead as a hammer. He explained that his phone was provided by the department and buy passed the public system.

There are apps that allow use of the cell phone as a long range walkie talkie even when the network is down. They came into wide use after Katrina hit over here. They are used by private rescue groups to form private networks in these instances. Only problem is that it must be down loaded onto the phone before the net is restricted. After the storm it is too late. I understand that it also take a huge chunk of phone memory.

As for internet service?? Well I do without that each time some drunk hits a utility pole anywhere along the 30 miles from my home to the city. Sometimes it goes out due to a simple rain shower and if it is lightening during a storm I shut it down myself and unplug to save my hardware. I lost an entire system to lightening strike a few years back.

No internet would make it difficult to google "There's a flood, what do I need to take with me to the roof?"

Messages In This Thread
Observing German Crisis - by Mortblanc - 18 July 2021, 18:35
RE: Observing German Crisis - by CharlesHarris - 18 July 2021, 19:29
RE: Observing German Crisis - by MaryN - 18 July 2021, 19:36
RE: Observing German Crisis - by bigpaul - 19 July 2021, 08:52
RE: Observing German Crisis - by Mortblanc - 19 July 2021, 19:35
RE: Observing German Crisis - by bigpaul - 20 July 2021, 11:39