Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent power cuts
1 April 2022, 22:28,
RE: Recent power cuts
I had a bit of practice time the other night. A supercell came through that stretched from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. There were wind gusts up to 90 MPH so power outage was inevitable.

I had seen the radar so I was sitting there wearing my headlamp. Be prepared is the motto, right.

It went off at around 10PM so I did the only sensible thing. I lit the oil lamps and sat down with my Dobro and played "If It Don't Stop Rainin' the Levee's Gonna Break". A true British hit that was crafted for the event.

I also dumped all the important foods from the fridge into the deep freezer. I keep two gallons of water frozen in there and there is also a 7 kilo turkey in there frozen. It takes days to thaw a bird that size so I don't even worry about the deep freeze until about day 3 of an outage.

There was a new batch of chocolate pudding in the fridge so I ate that! I mean, that's what a real prepper does, correct? No wasted resources.

Went to bed listening to the storm howl and woke up when the lights came back on at 5:30AM. Turned the lights off and went back to sleep.

Other than the wind blowing my 197 kilo motorbike off its side stand I was unscathed by the storm. My neighbor did have a big ash tree about a meter in diameter blown down in the garden. That was a bit unnerving to see. Made me glad I had all the trees trimmed back from the house a few years back.

Messages In This Thread
Recent power cuts - by Ajax - 24 February 2022, 23:34
RE: Recent power cuts - by Pete Grey - 25 February 2022, 00:56
RE: Recent power cuts - by bigpaul - 25 February 2022, 09:37
RE: Recent power cuts - by Ajax - 25 February 2022, 15:56
RE: Recent power cuts - by bigpaul - 25 February 2022, 16:31
RE: Recent power cuts - by Straight Shooter - 25 February 2022, 10:15
RE: Recent power cuts - by Ajax - 25 February 2022, 16:04
RE: Recent power cuts - by Mortblanc - 1 April 2022, 22:28
RE: Recent power cuts - by Joe - 2 April 2022, 12:19