Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with severe burns & wounds without medical help
20 July 2023, 19:46,
Dealing with severe burns & wounds without medical help
I many disaster situations, people will suffer severe wounds, and for example, severe burns will be common after a nuclear exchange as seen on civilians attacked by the US in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The big difference, with a nuclear war, and many shtf situations, is that there may be no medical help at all for a considerable time, long enough that serious wounds, whilst not in themselves life threatening, could in the time when no medical help is available, become gangrenous and so deadly.

I've been researching the subject and whilst I've found plenty of "first aid" books that deal with the initial treatment of serious injuries in the hours before the casualty is seen by a medic, and I've read some medical texts (mainly military), on medics dealing with severe injuries after that period, I've yet to find anything on the long term treatment of severe wounds and burns by the non-medically competent.

In particular, medics will perform a process called "debridement", which is basically hacking off any flesh that may be dead or contaminated. Military medics are particularly zealous with the process, because in a military context the wounds are usually infected with some nasty flesh-eating bugs. So, I understand that might be something that has to be done in a SHTF situation to an open wound.

But, my question regards 3rd degree burns. These are burns that kill the entire thickness of the skin. In normal life, these require medical treatment: the dead skin is removed (debridement) and then I suppose they have to have skin grafts. But, in a shtf situation, there is no way that is possible, so I've been trying to find out which of the two likely options would be best: to remove the dead skin and leave an open wound, or to leave the dead skin and perhaps have a festering gangrenous wound.

Messages In This Thread
Dealing with severe burns & wounds without medical help - by Sekwo - 20 July 2023, 19:46