Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar flares
20 November 2012, 10:33,
RE: Solar flares
Bloody hell something just dawned on both my brain cells as we are discussing this, As I type into this notepad I also happen to be backing up my system into a Buffalo Mini USB Hard drive.

I sat here looking at it and I realised I keep both this notebook and the back up hard drive in a cardboard box !!!!!!!!!!, If an EMP hit I would loose everything cept what I have printed off. I need another metal biccy tin quick.

20 November 2012, 10:35,
Ammunition boxes are supposedly pretty good for EMP protection.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
20 November 2012, 10:39,
(20 November 2012, 10:33)NorthernRaider Wrote: Bloody hell something just dawned on both my brain cells as we are discussing this, As I type into this notepad I also happen to be backing up my system into a Buffalo Mini USB Hard drive.

I sat here looking at it and I realised I keep both this notebook and the back up hard drive in a cardboard box !!!!!!!!!!, If an EMP hit I would loose everything cept what I have printed off. I need another metal biccy tin quick.

lol,... well I am glad this thread has helped you somewhat,... see what I meant earlier Ferret, no matter what your experience,.. little ideas or thoughts come from the inexperienced as well as the experts
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 November 2012, 10:49,
There are no Experts on this forum, just folk who have been doing prepping a bit longer than t'others.

EXPERT = EX as in a Has Been
(s)PERT is a drip under pressure.

22 November 2012, 10:55,
Apparently there is a couple of smallish ones on the way,, should hit Friday Saturday. CNN were reporting them as massive and scaring the shit out of all those yanks but they are not gonna be that bad however they may affect some comms. As far as farrady cages go a metal insulated box is just not man enough for the job, it will stop low level reception like a radio or a mobile phone from working but it will not stop a higher level of transmission like a CB radio or a scary EMP. I am sure I read a post on here somewhere about how you should have multiple layers and thats spot on. I have got my CB radios in metal insulated boxes from Machinemart for 8 quid and then secured in Tech Protect EMP bags 14 quid for 2, and it does the job great. For my Bug out Bus I have got a spare set of ECUs and other electronic parts all protected by the same way. So if we get one big CME I should be able to get going again but if another comes in soon after I am gonna be well pissed off ranting raving and cursing at the side of the roas somewhere.
22 November 2012, 11:13,
I've read of folks taking a radio for example, wrapping it in bubble wrap to act as insulator / spacer, then wrapped in foil, then added to a biccy tin lined with more bubble wrap, then stored in a metal tool box also lined with bubble wrap so they have multiple isolated layers ??

22 November 2012, 11:19,
Yea sounds good raider, the best test us mere mortals can do is to try and transmit into your CB after its all been wrapped up, unless someone knows diffirent.
22 November 2012, 23:04,
I#m an advocate for OTT on prepping. Belt and Braces so tin foil in a box and then in a bigger box is my method.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 November 2012, 23:12,
Going back to the begining,.. if we were away from cars, radios etc, how do we know that a pulse has hit,... do we get a flash in the sky?, I read somewhere that the keys in your pocket get hot.

I am often away from civilization in the spring/summer,... how would I know?

.......... and yes, I also believe the best way is to use layers, many layers in order to protect your most valuble electrical items
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 November 2012, 13:46,
Might be worth you having a look at this but please bear in mind the sun does have a tendency to exaggerate.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/new...-2013.html
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.