Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on homegrown militia?
19 April 2013, 11:59,
RE: Thoughts on homegrown militia?
Indeed they'd be a long way off post event as you say.
And all good pointers, It would be hard though to not have fire at day to hide smoke and show no light at night. I'd suggest people use dry woods that produce less smoke than wet but also to stock up on animal droppings, dried thoroughly these produce nearly no smoke and are great sources of heat/fire. Of course night time is best to keep an even lower profile in small or one-two man groups.
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
19 April 2013, 12:04,
(19 April 2013, 11:59)Jack Wrote: Indeed they'd be a long way off post event as you say.
And all good pointers, It would be hard though to not have fire at day to hide smoke and show no light at night. I'd suggest people use dry woods that produce less smoke than wet but also to stock up on animal droppings, dried thoroughly these produce nearly no smoke and are great sources of heat/fire. Of course night time is best to keep an even lower profile in small or one-two man groups.

it just makes sense to me, you dont want strangers finding you by your smoke, noise or light pollution. i have heard people talking about generators post SHTF- i think people will be surprised just how quiet everywhere will be post SHTF, a vehicle or a generator will be heard MILES away and could give away your location to "undesireables"!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 April 2013, 12:16, (This post was last modified: 19 April 2013, 12:18 by Jack.)
Very true, iv delivered classes on the subject of urban survival and of course noise in an empty city or town will echo a lot to, though bounces around so much is harder to pin point then in the woods.
What I advise in practice, as power will be needed by many for different reasons, is to obtain generators post event, place them in near by buildings that can be or are already soundproof and a place near by each of them to cache fuel and car batteries you have scavenged. You can charge these batteries well away from your home location in a place of your choosing, for me just up the street. Doing this until you have scavenged enough parts to set up a renewable energy source...
A militia could be based at such buildings to discourage potential looters.

For me, a militia would yes patrol the surrounding area of its settlement. Eventually armed.
But more to provide a visual deterrent, to provide its group with assistance in securing their property and to manage disputes.
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
19 April 2013, 13:57,
i'm going for the non power set up..all hand tools...a bit like the Amish but without the religion!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 April 2013, 16:00,
Whatever is set up, and it will be different for each circumstance, we should always consider that we may have to justify our decisions. Probably without the element of doubt and it is unlikely to be a trial format.

Myself I'm keeping out of these as much as I can and certainly will not be operating under anyone elses instructions for as long as I can keep it up.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 April 2013, 16:24,
(19 April 2013, 16:00)Skean Dhude Wrote: Whatever is set up, and it will be different for each circumstance, we should always consider that we may have to justify our decisions. Probably without the element of doubt and it is unlikely to be a trial format.

Myself I'm keeping out of these as much as I can and certainly will not be operating under anyone elses instructions for as long as I can keep it up.

apart from mrs SDSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
19 April 2013, 16:25,
(19 April 2013, 16:24)Barneyboy Wrote:
(19 April 2013, 16:00)Skean Dhude Wrote: Whatever is set up, and it will be different for each circumstance, we should always consider that we may have to justify our decisions. Probably without the element of doubt and it is unlikely to be a trial format.

apart from mrs SDSmile

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
19 April 2013, 17:29, (This post was last modified: 19 April 2013, 17:33 by Jack.)
[/quote]

apart from mrs SDSmile
[/quote]

Amen to that... Perhaps society 2.0 should be governed by women, to keep us inline!

That's a sound view SD, though due to my background I can say its more than just likely I'd be an active part of any militia come defensive come aid group... We play our strongest hand after all, but more to my point, to secure my loved ones.
19 April 2013, 17:36,
[quote='Jack' pid='54520' dateline='1366388996) due to my background I can say its more than just likely I'd be an active part of any militia come defensive come aid group...
[/quote]

now, why dosent that surprise anyone??Big GrinBig Grin
19 April 2013, 17:44,
Governing by women is not far off the mark!!

Early Celtic society was matriarchial and worked well until the Romans showed up with their male dominated roles.

Most tribal units working at subsistance level are matriarchial.

The native American social order in the eastern agricultural areas and the southwest were controlled by councilsd of women.

In the American SW Hpoi and Pueblo cultures the women were burried in places of honor while dead males were thrown onto the landfill.

Please keep in mind that most successful spontanious protective units (militia) grow up around a charismatic leader. A person that shows capabilities and leadership skills that inspire confidence.

People follow him/her because they want too follow or have some affiliation/attachment to the leader through tribal or family ties.

You join to reap the benefits of the larger unit.

You stay out and you are outside the "circle of trust" and do not reap the benefits or protection of the unit.

In most historical contexts this bandishment results in death.