Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been hiding for too long, time to say Hi
21 June 2017, 22:50,
Been hiding for too long, time to say Hi
Hi All,

Ive been reading and learning in the background for quite a while now and thought its about time to finaly jump in and say Hi to you guys and gals.

Ive been learning skills and building my knowledge for a few years now, practice and patience being my natural instinct, I will never get things perfect but just doing the best I can. I spent many years living on a smallholding, vertually off grid, so many of the skills I have come from that time.

Im now in a small coastal village location in the UK, but close to a city (20mins drive) and my personal situation now demands that I stay put rather than bug out when a crisis comes.

My main interest now is learning how to build a small group of like minded thinkers around me. The dangers of "coming out" and being known as the local nutty prepper are all too obvious, but the advantages of having an established local community to work with are a strong pull.

Im reading back through many of the archived forum threads and articles, but I know that there is no definitive way to get this sort of thing going. Balancing the risks versus the potential reward is my constant conflict.

Do I take the red pill and go for it??????

Ive even thought about offering to run a local class and see who turns up?

Any ideas greatly apprecaited, especially from others in a similar situation or those who have already done it.

Cheers for now all.

Arwen
21 June 2017, 23:53,
RE: Been hiding for too long, time to say Hi
Hello and welcome from Norfolk
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
22 June 2017, 10:38,
Hello matey and welcome.
I know what you mean about trying to get a group together.
In my opinion the best thing to do is to try and work with established groups within your local community. I wouldn't even use the word prepper/survivalist but as you seem to have a lot of experience in small holding/off grid living seek others who do too, and you will likely find they have prepper mindsets without calling themselves preppers.
Look to volunteer in community safety groups, disaster planning, even St Johns Ambulance - I myself am taking their 3 day first aid course shortly.

LAC
22 June 2017, 16:20,
Hello and welcome from South Wales....where men are men....and sheep are scarred shitless.
22 June 2017, 19:25,
(21 June 2017, 23:53)Barneyboy Wrote: Hello and welcome from Norfolk

Hi Barneyboy.
Im also on the "Sunrise" coast.
Its a nice part of the country.
Arwen
22 June 2017, 19:30,
(22 June 2017, 10:38)LAC Wrote: Hello matey and welcome.
I know what you mean about trying to get a group together.
In my opinion the best thing to do is to try and work with established groups within your local community. I wouldn't even use the word prepper/survivalist but as you seem to have a lot of experience in small holding/off grid living seek others who do too, and you will likely find they have prepper mindsets without calling themselves preppers.
Look to volunteer in community safety groups, disaster planning, even St Johns Ambulance - I myself am taking their 3 day first aid course shortly.

LAC

Hi LAC
Thanks for the ideas, especially the first aid one which im very poor on.
Im already involved with a local allotment group, "permaculture" is very much my thing.
Will let you know how I get on.
Arwen
22 June 2017, 19:33,
(22 June 2017, 16:20)Straight Shooter Wrote: Hello and welcome from South Wales....where men are men....and sheep are scarred shitless.

Hi SS.
Another nice part of the country, I must admit to having relatives north of Cardiff. http://forum.survivaluk.net/images/smilies/sad.gif
Arwen
28 June 2017, 19:18,
Hello and welcome. Plenty hear to learn about and they are a good bunch. Mostly. Wink
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 June 2017, 09:27,
(22 June 2017, 19:25)Arwen Thebard Wrote:
(21 June 2017, 23:53)Barneyboy Wrote: Hello and welcome from Norfolk

Hi Barneyboy.
Im also on the "Sunrise" coast.
Its a nice part of the country.
Arwen

Haha a fellow Iceni good to no matey
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
3 July 2017, 21:09,
Hello mate what area are you in ?