Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fashion fur?
1 August 2012, 09:58,
Fashion fur?
I went shopping yesterday and saw a pack of pants for my little lad and they were reduced to £2 a pack, I suddenly wondered if I should buy 5 packs from the ages of 5 (his age now) to age 10.
When TSHTF I will be hiding and preparing to survive whilst all the chavs and looters will be in the shops stealing all the clothes and shoes.

A few years after TSHTF what will we do for clothing, spesh in the Winter?
Will we be wearing Rabbit/fox etc pelts/fur?
Little sexy ankle boots made from fur, Yeah I can live with that lol, Skirts/trousers etc made from fur? (best buy a decent sewing kit)
What about the Summer when the wearing of fur will be to hot? (fig leaves? lol)
How long will fur clothes last for? will they attract fleas and such like?
Another paranoid post from Prepaday x

1 August 2012, 10:15,
RE: Fashion fur?
Good point M'dear, In our case when we found affordable but effective cloths for our kids we bought them in multiple sizes to allow for growth ( providing they were on offer for example) stuff like Regatta Fleeces, Regatta soft shells, Karrimor Summit approach shoes, kids packs of T shirts, joggy bottoms, Matalan Cargo pants etc. So if say we wanted to fit spoilt brat 1 out we bought 4 pairs of of KSB summi shoes in sizes 3 , 4 and 5.

With Adults who have stopped growing like me, I bulk buy Craghopper Kiwi cargo pants if they are on offer at the factory shop and I'll buy 6 pairs, same with fleeces but now starting to prefer soft shells. Footwear ! if I find a practical type I actually like such as KSM Summit Leathers I'll buy 5 pairs, same story with my Magnum Spiders.

We keep stuff we grow out of to all us to use the old gear to repair damage to current clothing, How very Waltons eh ?

1 August 2012, 10:22,
It's not very Waltons at all ! It's a bloody good idea Smile
Not the spending shed loads on Karrimore or Crag hoppers but the saving of clothes that my eldest has grown out of and passing it down to the younger girl. although my son would have a hissy fit wearing a dress lol.
I am keeping a hold of my wool coat now either to pass on to my daughter/s Barter or to cut up and make..avn't the foggiest of yet but I'm sure it could be cut up and used for something decent?
1 August 2012, 10:30,
Some of me best gear came from Charity shops, My Green Gortex waterproof made by Berghuas cost me £12 from a charity shop. MY DPM waterproof smock cos £15 of a market stall. My Karrimor Summit shoes cost £20 from JJB sports, my base layer fleeces were £4 each from Mountain warehouse. The Craghoppers were £18 from the Factory outlet at Dalton Park.

I'm not rich like LS, W & C and SD, I have to prep on the cheap.

1 August 2012, 10:32,
I have 3 kids (at home, 6 in total) and even at the prices you mention, it's still gonna be a dear do Sad
1 August 2012, 11:00,
Thats what we do by an extra pair on offer a bigger size of course.
Failure is NOT an option
1 August 2012, 11:12,
It is one area that is talked about but is not very high profile. Only those with large families ever seem to talk about it. It is a good idea and not enough of us do it. I've been looking at storing items in those vacumn packs. Seems a very good way to store clothes as well.

I have plenty of spare adult clothes but the growing up time is woefully short of items.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 August 2012, 11:28,
i wear hiking boots, i buy 2 pairs at a time, wear 1 pair out buy 2 more..that way i'm always doubling up. i buy jeans from Premier Man 2 pairs at a time but only when on offer(full price £20 sale price£10..have had them as low as £5 per pair) most of my shirts come from charity shops....when i can get the size.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 August 2012, 11:37, (This post was last modified: 1 August 2012, 11:38 by Hrusai.)
these reasons are why im looking into how to make hide and thread and needles and cloth and such like completely from scratch using simple traditional methods, whilst ideally its best to buy these things while you can, if its too expensive, you can sure as hell learn the skills to make these items for almost no money at all!...especially if you dont practise xD (but i recommend practising)....and as you said with the dress for your son, a bit of handiwork with some scissors and needle and thread and i could turn it in a pair of shorts and a shirt!

we need to rediscover the art of darning socks and making what we got last (well my generation will have to discover it in the first place!)...but i think its important to stock up while you can, if you find a good deal and can afford it, its a good idea to invest in it, even if after its past its usefulness, you can still use old pants and such like to make small pouches, or even use old t shirts for a make shift backpack for the young'uns! .... dont look at it like its a piece of clothing, its material, and thats very versatile....try and think of as many things as you could possible do with it and you'll realise the possibilities Smile...even if its just straining water out of leaves, or a simple water filter to get out the muck, even as emergency tinder...the possibilities are endless Smile....

...if its a piece of 100% cotton, you can make char cloth out of it really really easily!...just get a tin, punch a hole in the top with a knife, put a chunk of the cotton in there, and put the tin on top of a fire, leave it there till it stops smoking out the hole, then turn it over for a bit, once its stopped smoking it'll look small and black, but still hold together, that stuff will take a spark like nothing else!! get a firesteel on it, get it embering, then transfer it into a tinder bundle, blow and you got some fire Smile
oh and if you'd like to learn about making materials and working with hides, look through some of the older threads, i know i posted a website called primitiveways.com or something like that that contains lots of cool stuff, and i know others have posted some good stuff Big Grin
1 August 2012, 12:17,
I can imagine moccasins will be a very good barter item
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8