Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry bloomin xmas
1 August 2012, 18:22,
Merry bloomin xmas
10 years from now??????????????

"Happy xmas" my boyfriend says to me as he hands me over a bunch of leaves, I look at him blankly and hold the leaves, I can feel something hard in the leaves, I take the leaves away and inside is a fir cone ... "I'll cook tonight" he says.
"That is if I catch any food!"

He goes hunting and catches nothing, "Oh well roots it is then"...nom, nom
Sad
And that's xmas over for another year, no cake, no pudding, no prezzies, no decorations no music.....
Well at least we think it's xmas day as we have no calender, no watch, no computer, nothing to even tell us which day of the week it is

Thoughts anyone? (includes Birthdays, etc)
1 August 2012, 18:35,
RE: Merry bloomin xmas
most of the time i dont know what day of the week it is NOW...and no, i dont drink! i think Xmas and Birthdays are over-rated anyway especially as you get older and is only for the kiddies...as i dont have any thats not a problem! some people think i'm a miserable old gitTongue and thats fine too. but honestly, if its 10 years since TSHTF wouldn't we be a bit more organised ? growing our own crops..fruit and veg, hunting...well trapping is a more useful way to go, anyone near the sea or a river or lake could try fishing, then there is scavenging-maybe after 10 years there isnt much to scavenge but it isnt all about food..anything useful..maybe clothes or scrap metal?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 August 2012, 18:47,
hah i have that problem too BP i hardly ever know what day it is lol, hell i can even get the order of the months right all the time o.O

but in all honestly even if you remember these occasions, would you celebrate them? or would you just make up new ones, hell i reckon we'd just view every deer caught a holiday! at least i would, take pleasure where you can, wether its seeing something beautiful and unexpected while hunting, or just catching a nice wholesome meal and being able to put your feet up for a day before having to go out hunting again Smile...although i think birthdays would be a different matter, but i doubt we'd keep time well enough, short of cutting a notch into a tree every day to keep track, we might not have accurate clock and such like! (although im sure we'd manage xD

on a lighter side note, did anyone read as far as

"10 years from now??????????????

"Happy xmas" my boyfriend says to me as he hands me over a bunch of leaves, I look at him blankly and hold the leaves, I can feel something hard in the leaves, I take the leaves away "

and just think....prepaday! reign it in girl! xD
1 August 2012, 18:59,
I wrote the thread because Asda were selling of Birthday candles at 10p a pack, I bought 10 packs I thought..."At lease during/after TSHTF I can still put a smile on the kids/grandkids faces.
Even though the candles could be stuck on a bit of Deer or Rabbit instead of a cake.
I'm really sentimental and will miss xmas as we know it.
I don't care if gifts are handmade, My decs are usually popcorn strung o the ceiling and tree but I will miss the colour, the noise, Christmas carols being played on the radio, xmas carol singers at the door and of course...The wrapping of presents Sad
Birthdays also, Every thing you can imagine, will be different, very different.
1 August 2012, 19:15,
it'll be different, but if you can persevere and be dedicated enough to make the effort to carry on the tradition, you can make it work, theres alwaysspare time to weave something small or make a knife, hell gifts will probably become functional things instead of decadent ones!
1 August 2012, 20:36,
If that is something you want then prepare for it. Put aside what you need and try and keep track of the days. After a while it may fade but people celebrated holidays for hundreds of years without mod cons and expensive gifts.

Go for it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 August 2012, 06:09,
I hate Christmas, well the modern version anyway.
Hopefully ten years after TSHTF we will be back to celebrating the Winter solstice as it should be, a marker to the longest night of the year which means the days will begin to be longer and we may stand a chance of surviving into the spring, where we can start to look forward to a bumper harvest, fresh fruit and flowers to eat in abundance and young juicy meat to eat.

Our ancestors celebrated the right things at the right time and I'm sure we will as well.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn!"
2 August 2012, 07:31,
Yes and all without mod cons. SO how they knew when those days were is still beyond me. Any ideas?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 August 2012, 08:07, (This post was last modified: 2 August 2012, 08:22 by Lightspeed.)
(2 August 2012, 07:31)Skean Dhude Wrote: Yes and all without mod cons. SO how they knew when those days were is still beyond me. Any ideas?

Moon Phases and sun-rise sun set positions will give a good indication.

I expect to have functional time pieces that I can keep going for a ten year time scale at least

But this thread reminds me that I never got around to finding one of those perpetual calendars. I will get onto this when I'm back in circulation.

LS
Got one. :-)

Thanks for the reminder.....

Anyone else interested, this is a mechanical device that will calculate dates for the next 50 years.

Syncing with it if you completely loose track will take time of course but is do-able. But with existing time pieces working for even a few months after a catastrophe, ticking off days can beconme a part of daily routine and a preservation of knowledge from the past

See
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-perp...53ee1ea7ef

LS

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 August 2012, 09:36,
Xmas, Birthdays. Valentines day, Pancake day, Easter, Halloween, Firework night, All far to commercialized and costs a bloomin fortune. Hopefully when we are all settling in after a long, hard SHTF episode we can go back to ye old traditions, real ones like someone said..The longest day, Harvest day, Maybe have a day in the year when we celebrate surviving?