Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which off the shelf foods last the longest?
13 September 2012, 13:20, (This post was last modified: 13 September 2012, 15:48 by Skvez.)
Which off the shelf foods last the longest?
OK folks I want to try and build up a decent list of propriety foods preppers in the UK can buy to set aside for TEOTWAWKI.

I'm looking for items that can EASILY be STORED for at least ONE YEAR.
In the UK as most of you know decent affordable canning and preserving kit is expensive and hard to find, So i want to try and find out what simple decent basic foods we can buy that will last at least a year and preferably two.

IF you are members of other UK based forums I politely ask you to ask the same question on there forum and lets see if we can created a list of preppers foods we can share across the board.

If you take your preps seriously and like me think trouble is on the horizon I ask you to put a bit of effort into this project.
Please dont cut and paste US lists as most of their brands and products are not available here.
NR

I'll start with
White Rice in 5 KG tubs
Honey

13 September 2012, 13:30,
RE: Which off the shell foods last the longest?
Will you be putting the rice in mylar bags or leaving in original packaging?
13 September 2012, 13:43,
Tinned Tuna in oil has about a 3 year span, Although expensive it stores well and is good for you.
13 September 2012, 13:43,
Off the shelf means than mon ami, no mylar bags cos they are expensive and hard to obtain, So white rice I buy comes in sealed plastic tubs of 5kg in weight. Lets be honest most UK preppers just cannot afford the fancy preserving kit the yanks have, So we have to adapt and find foods that will last a good few years in their original containers

13 September 2012, 14:18,
Here you go NR. The definitive guide to how long stuff lasts. It also has advice on storage, preventing spoilage and infestations et al.

http://www.getpandemicready.org/Portals/...ge_FAQ.pdf

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
13 September 2012, 14:38,
Thanks TOF but as i said above I am seeking pure British made products and foods , Alan Hagan is an American Author. Smile

13 September 2012, 14:39,
(13 September 2012, 13:43)NorthernRaider Wrote: Off the shelf means than mon ami, no mylar bags cos they are expensive and hard to obtain, So white rice I buy comes in sealed plastic tubs of 5kg in weight. Lets be honest most UK preppers just cannot afford the fancy preserving kit the yanks have, So we have to adapt and find foods that will last a good few years in their original containers

where do you get it and how much is it?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 September 2012, 14:50, (This post was last modified: 13 September 2012, 15:32 by TOF.)
The paper has very relevant info on storage over here, too. NR. That's the main reason I like it so much, is the fact he has included storage methods for the equipmentally challenged such as we. It's my go-to every time. Page 95 has what you may be after.

Instant potato
Spices(whole not ground)
Sugar
Vinegar
Salt
Porridge Oats
Oatmeal
Plain Flour
Baking Powder
Bicarbonate of Soda
Jif lemon juice
Dried Sultanas, Raisins, Currants.
Dried Pasta
Pulses
Pearl Barley.
Dried Peas(mushy)
Cornflour
Semolina(dry)
Tapioca(dry)
Flaked rice(dry)

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
13 September 2012, 15:54,
Sigh !!! I think that this thread has gone off the rails already, it must be a record for us, Again I say I want BRITISH goods, in British packaging not extracts from American documents. Lets look at say INSTANT POTATOE, Flakes or grains, salted or unsalted, in sealed bags or paper bags inside carboard boxes, or the stuff that comes in tubes , ideally what type of spud it is, is it best to buy small foil packets or large catering tubs, which tastes nicer Asda, Tesco, Makro or Aldi, Branded or unbranded.

The same can be applied to most of the foods we need to know about

13 September 2012, 16:03,
RE: Which off the shelf foods last the longest?
Protein

Tins are expensive but usually have a 1 or 2 year (marked) shelf life
Tesco (and other main supermarkets) have a reasonable range of Tined Chicked, tinned Tuna etc

Carbohydrate

I find that potatoes don't store well for as long as a year unless you have a root cellar (I wish)
Tinned potatoes do sreo.
Rice and pasta can usually be found in packages that are stated "best before > 1 year from now". Often it's the slightly more expensive brands with the longer shelf life. Not sure if that's in the preparation or the packaging itself.
Bread: I don't yet have a good long term way to provide bread. I store a little flour but I don't bake bread with it, more bannack type substances.

Fruit / vegetables

This is an area that I'm lacking in.
Tined vegetables tend to taste poorly and often don't have as long as a year date.
Ideally I can get a small vegetable garden going, ideally in a greenhouse so I can continue to produce during the winter (someday).

Milk

Long life milk (UHT) is usually only out about 6 months, it's also more expensive than fresh so I only have a few litres on hand (not nearly enough). Powered milk after that.

Butter / Margarine
No long term preps at this time. (I need advice here!)

So a lot of tins which is a shame as tins are expensive, heavy (if I needed to bug out) and rust (if I try and cache them). There are also some people who express health concerns using a lot of tinned food and we need to rotate what we prep.

Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?