Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeling trapped
7 October 2012, 23:27,
Feeling trapped
Is anyone else feeling very boxed in in the UK? I recently found myself browsing properties in Ukraine, dreaming about escaping. I'm trying to form a prepping group at college, through the use of anonymous posters, in the hope of getting somewhere.
I live with a family who roll their eyes at the mention of any kind of serious preparation. They won't even keep the petrol tank full.
Does anyone think there is any hope that the UK will ever become a more friendly environment to prepping? We are already fairly stable at rock bottom, so at least we can't sink much lower.
I feel like I'm locked on a bus on a rail crossing, and I'm the only one that can hear the train approaching around the corner
Rant over.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
7 October 2012, 23:41,
RE: Feeling trapped
Yes. Small island, too many people, no real wilderness, no where to really go to hide if you needed to. No easy way to buy in bulk etc. I have plans to leave... but unfortunatly its something that can't happen for at least another year.
8 October 2012, 06:42,
Yeah, we know the feeling Tibbs, oh yes.... hopefully soon as we can, we will be heading over to The Isles of Scilly, but the way things are a.t.m. we don`t realistically see it happening in the foreseeable future.
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
8 October 2012, 08:04,
I'm thinking a lot of your feelings has to do with what's going on or, more accurately, not going on.
The UK is in a state of turmoil at this moment. The nervousness is affecting everyone.

Everyone you speak to (non sheeple that is) is worried.

We'd love to move on, thought we were getting close and our buyer backed out. Sign of our times.

Would like to dd to a quieter life somewhere where there is room but Slovak is a bit difficult to get my tongue round.
I rather like the gun laws there.
Still even SWMBO is considering it. Big Grin

As for the family not wanting to prep, just hang on a bit.
Winters coming and if the 'experts' have it right it's going to be a bad one.
When the lights go out and you've got the candles, just remind them that it's because you 'prepped' that they've got light. Big Grin

8 October 2012, 08:54,
i dont feel boxed in although i live on a housing estate, probably cos there are fields, farms and farm animals all around me. if and when TSHTF i feel i could cope whilst all the sheeple are panicking.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 October 2012, 09:09,
Its going to get worse, a lot worse before it gets better, look at the facts all three mainstream parties are doing nothing positive to address the immigration issues, they talk about turning away a few thousand here and there but we all know the EU wont let them, so we are increasing our population by 3 million or more every few years. Labour keeps importing voters, Tories kerep importing cheap labour and the liberal just want to use your money and taxes to feed the whole world.

Unless there is MAJOR civil unrest and the immigration is not only stopped but partially reveresed nothing is going to get better. Immgration has been a total disaster for this small island nation, other nation states like the Windies, Bahamas, Malta, Cyprus, NZ etc all have VERY strict immigration quotas but we let anyone in.

8 October 2012, 09:38, (This post was last modified: 8 October 2012, 09:42 by Prepper1.)
Well with the droughts that have been happening in the U.S, cop a load of this...http://americanfreepress.net/?p=6406

and here http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-develop...etarianism

and here http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/...e-not-cars

and here http://www.agrimoney.com/feature/will-po...--169.html

and defra in 2008 http://www.ifr.ac.uk/waste/Reports/DEFRA...170708.pdf

Where does your food come from? http://www.climatechoices.org.uk/pages/food1.htm

Is the u.k running out of food? http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...70164.html

Have a look also at one of my favorite preppers here,(southern prepper1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hAPNsVIfyw&feature=fvsr talking about the coming storm.

we may not be too far from seeing the reality of that feeling that we're feeling deep inside.

http://americanfreepress.net/?p=6406
I replaced the link from the very top of the page here because it wouldn't link at first for some bizarre reason...
And yes I know some are old links but they are there to serve the point that things were starting a while ago, and nothings being done or highly likely nothing will be done, because a thinning is in there interests anyway.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 October 2012, 11:54,
(7 October 2012, 23:41)Hexyprep Wrote: Yes. Small island, too many people, no real wilderness, no where to really go to hide if you needed to. No easy way to buy in bulk etc. I have plans to leave... but unfortunatly its something that can't happen for at least another year.

have you really looked for a BOL /hexyprep? some people are looking at Scotland, others Wales, what about the National Parks? you dont need to buy in bulk...that COULD give the game away! just buy a few extra tins each week and build up your stocks slowly..that way it wont break the bank!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 October 2012, 12:30,
The feeling you're having Tibbs is natural.

Unfortunately for you, because you are basically running solo with prepping, your anxiety and angst about the whole thing is going to be greatly amplified because you feel alone. If you're walking 10 miles, it will take a long time alone. If you're walking 10 miles with someone, it will feel much quicker, even if it takes the same time. The same is true with prepping. If you're in your journey to get people ready for what you foresee, and you're alone (probably even victim to resistance) then your emotional state will be heightened. So you're feeling powerless, alone, and can't see an easy way out (trapped) which is exactly the reason some people get obsessed with prepping and forget they need to have a semi-normal life, living it up, out to the pub with mates, and things like that.

I know how you're feeling because I've been there too mate. The trick it.....there is no trick. You do as BP said, Just buy a few extra tins each week and build up your stocks slowly. You do what I say 'Get your fitness in check, so that if something happens, you're physically ready for it.' Do what NR says 'Know what you're prepping for, then prep until you're comfortable you've done enough. Once you reach that point, prep some more.' You do what SD says 'Be realistic. Zombies won't come after you, so don't freak out about things that will never happen.' You do what my brother-from-another-mother Binary says 'Relax and have a beer.'

Know your limits. If you're doing what you can, without becoming a silverfoil hat member, and can still function in modern society and not be a total recluse, then you're doing what needs to be done.

College is not going to be the best place to meet other preppers. However, it is a great place to meet people that will rip the piss out of you. In college, you're best off doing something simple, like joining the DofE Award group, and use that as an excuse to build up kit. Maybe help out by volunteering at Scouts as a young leader (it's not a COOL thing to do, but say you do it because your cousin goes there, or something like that).

Don't have yourself expelled from being social at college or uni. That is the best way to draw attention to yourself.

Just be yourself, enjoy the outdoors, and carry a couple of extra items with you, and buy a few extra tins as you can.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 October 2012, 14:43,
(8 October 2012, 11:54)bigpaul Wrote:
(7 October 2012, 23:41)Hexyprep Wrote: Yes. Small island, too many people, no real wilderness, no where to really go to hide if you needed to. No easy way to buy in bulk etc. I have plans to leave... but unfortunatly its something that can't happen for at least another year.

have you really looked for a BOL /hexyprep? some people are looking at Scotland, others Wales, what about the National Parks? you dont need to buy in bulk...that COULD give the game away! just buy a few extra tins each week and build up your stocks slowly..that way it wont break the bank!!Big Grin

Hi, Yes I have also looked at both areas.... my problem is I think everyone will head in the same direction. Also its not really somewhere I could access quickly and easily on both fronts. Its possible one could go undetected in a forest for years in the UK, but seems unlikely and none round me are all that big. If i started building or planting as in gorilla gardening I feel it would be found and plucked before I ever got back to it... If this were say Canada I would feel pretty happy I could get safely lost in the mountains or disapear on the prairie without much effort... afterall they have 10 times the space.... and half the population.