Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Line need advice on this
8 November 2012, 10:15,
Fishing Line need advice on this
Right I have the following question:

with regards to fishing line to fish with on a day to day basis after shtf what strength would you recommend LB wise I am asking this so I can stock up on the fishing line as part of my preps.

this is for fishing in lakes and rivers
8 November 2012, 10:31,
RE: Fishing Line need advice on this

I would suggest a mix of 5lb and 8lb monofilament. Buy the best quality you can afford and make sure it's lightweight, and fine. Cheaper brands are often coarse and easily break. You can get Superline, which is a braided Dacron. This has the advantage of being almost invisible in water and presents the bite quicker because it does not stretch like monfilament.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
8 November 2012, 11:49,
I think it depends on the sizes of fish you're hoping to catch. If you're after 20lb fish, you'll need a 25lb line.

What fish are in your area, and what is their pull strength? If you have a barbell, you're going to need a line that's at least 50% stronger than the weight of the fish. Barbell fight like a bugger!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 November 2012, 11:53,
Rolleyes Just use some common sense & you should be o.k. Tongue
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
8 November 2012, 11:58,
Try a braided line, tougher than mono, thinner than mono 20-25lb will cover most species in theuk be it sea or freshwater. But you do need to learn to tie decent knots.
Failure is NOT an option
8 November 2012, 12:25,
Got 8lb in my survival tin. Dont forget hooks,swiveld and flys.
8 November 2012, 16:31,
It depends on where you are fishing (freshwater or saltwater).

For freshwater between 6 & 8lb should be ok, although if you are going for pike you will need to use special wire traces (and watch your fingers when you unhook them)

For sea fishing you need heavier line, although again depending on where you are fishing will decide what you need. People sometimes go for 25lb line with about 15-20m of 50 or 60lb shock leader. I use 30lb line straight through with no shock leader & it's seen me fine chucking 6oz sinkers for the past 20 years or so (even got a couple of trophies - now I'm just bragging. Lol).

For boat fishing at sea, 50lb right through. You don't know what's lurking down there & if you hook the very evasive "big one", you don't want it to get away.

I looked at braided line but decided against it when I was advised it is finer compared to normal mono line, and as a result slices your thumb to bits when you brake the spool on a multiplier reel. Like I say, I haven't used braided line so really can't comment on its performance.

Hope this helps.
8 November 2012, 16:49,
8 kg and 20kg mono-filament is what I carry.
Covers both fresh and sea.
8kg is also useful for bird snares.
20kg works a treat for rabbit snaring.

8 November 2012, 18:50,
I bought some 80lb braid for my boat reel, it is as thin as the 12lb mono I used to use when specimen carp fishing and big trout fishing. If you are looking just for line to use to catch fish, this is what I would use, sea, freshwater, anything.

I do not think braid casts very well from a multiplier, I have not heard about anyone that is doing big casts with the stuff, but it should be fine for a 70 yard lob. If I was casting over that I would use a mono shock leader. I would use 12lb mono traces fishing freshwater and 35lb mono traces sea fishing. The mono is to absorb play and shock otherwise with braid you can rip the hook out of the mouth of the fish.
8 November 2012, 18:53,
A fixed spool reel is very easy to master
Failure is NOT an option