Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coldest winter in 100 years on its way!
18 November 2012, 19:10,
RE: Coldest winter in 100 years on its way!
(18 November 2012, 12:00)Highlander Wrote: We both drive for a living in this house I do about 150 miles a day, and the wifes job involves quiet a bit of off roading [ forrestry tracks ],..and we have to be out every day, we are not allowed snow chains [ although I have been known to use them,.. who would know that far away ]... the wife at least has a 4x4 to use, but often I have seen her pushing snow with her bumper

Tarrel made a good post about the `wrong sort of snow`,... when `Sandy` was being reported on, I watched an American reporter talking about the snow conditions, and he scraped away some of the snow,..and said something like... ` and look at this under the snow, its really wet, extreamly dangerous, its not normal, I was having troble walking , we left the car and walked here`

he was talking about the snow condition we get as normal

Another example, does anyone watch the telly series `Ice road truckers`,.. they are great snow drivers, but they couldnt do what they do Alaska,... in the uk

I have experience in driveing in Norway when I was in the army, and its not half as bad here, its colder, and the ice that forms within the snow hold a lot of grip

We have the wrong sort of snow....lol

Spot on!

I've found driving in Switzerland, Austria, or even France, can be easier than the UK roads!!! And that's without snow haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 November 2012, 23:22,
Consider winter tyres. If you've never tried them, you'll be amazed at the difference they make. Take them off in the Spring though, otherwise they'll wear down dead quick.

Minus 4 and serious quantities of black ice here this morning. It rained till around midnight, then cleared and the temperature dropped like a stone. It caught the gritters out, which is unusual up here. They're normally pretty good. Snow on the hills above around 300m.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
19 November 2012, 02:05,
(18 November 2012, 00:02)Tarrel Wrote: In the final analysis, I think a lot of our problems are caused by too many people, driving too many cars, in too small a space.

that is a major problem year round, as is the on street parking. i drive a 7.5t truck for a living and often i can't get down residential roads to make deliveries to peoples homes. i sometimes point out to people that if i can't get down their road then neither could a fire engine but people would rather risk the health and welfare of themselves and their families than give up worshipping their cars
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same
19 November 2012, 09:24,
I know this might sound odd, especially due to the weather that could be on it's way, but has anyone else noticed the gritters out WAY TOO EARLY?

To me, it doesn't make sense to grit the roads just before it's going to rain, or just after it rains. The salt will just be washed away, down the drain systems. Which seems to completely go against the idea of gritting the roads!
19 November 2012, 09:35,
(19 November 2012, 09:24)Scythe13 Wrote: I know this might sound odd, especially due to the weather that could be on it's way, but has anyone else noticed the gritters out WAY TOO EARLY?

Not to early around here we have had icy roads for 3 nights out of the last 12.

19 November 2012, 10:18,
(19 November 2012, 09:35)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(19 November 2012, 09:24)Scythe13 Wrote: I know this might sound odd, especially due to the weather that could be on it's way, but has anyone else noticed the gritters out WAY TOO EARLY?
Not to early around here we have had icy roads for 3 nights out of the last 12.

That's cool. I didn't mean it in the sense they were too quick to grit. I meant it as in, they were too quick to grit...before the rain.
19 November 2012, 10:54, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2012, 11:06 by Prepper1.)
As an add on to my earlier reply on the main site saying that I'd seen several articles saying that were living in a warm period between ice ages... here's a reply of some dude off another site here http://poorrichards-blog.blogspot.fr/201...r-one.html

"The archealogical records shows a periodic ice age every 12000 years like clock work. We are due for the next one, it has been about 12000 year ago since the last one."

Maybe its worth us all researching that one a bit more because if we are heading each year towards the next ice age, with each year getting colder, its definitely something we could devote a portion of the site to.
Maybe if we could all do our separate research on the subject, obviously subject to time constraints etc.. that way we may get a more balanced view... you know whats the coldest weather we can expect in an ice age situation, adapting our preps to ice age living etc...
It just seems strange to me that they did say about 12000 or so years ago there was a great flood, maybe the last period of warming?
and the ice sheets receding? Hence the biblical flood, which was also reported in numerous other cultures...
Thats more or less when our history began as well with Göbekli Tepe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

It has if I'm not mistaken been re dated to about 12000 years ago.

Controversially a program I watched ages ago dated the actual main body of the sphinx in Egypt to over 10 -12000 years ago.
This belonging to an ancient tribe from the area who worshiped lions.

obviously the head was added later as you can see by the newer stone.
The stone apparently shows signs of water damage from copious amounts of water washing it away many thousands of years ago.

this is conjecture about all the dating but many coincidences I'm sure you'll agree, maybe they're nothing but maybe if we are indeed heading for a new Ice age we should perhaps devote some time at least to discussing our options at least, because we havent really discussed long term Ice ige living anyway, so maybe nows the time...

I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
19 November 2012, 11:11, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2012, 11:17 by Scythe13.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
(19 November 2012, 10:54)Prepper1 Wrote: this is conjecture about all the dating but many coincidences I'm sure you'll agree, maybe they're nothing but maybe if we are indeed heading for a new Ice age we should perhaps devote some time at least to discussing our options at least, because we havent really discussed long term Ice ige living anyway, so maybe nows the time...

Sounds interesting.
19 November 2012, 12:18,
(19 November 2012, 11:11)Scythe13 Wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
(19 November 2012, 10:54)Prepper1 Wrote: this is conjecture about all the dating but many coincidences I'm sure you'll agree, maybe they're nothing but maybe if we are indeed heading for a new Ice age we should perhaps devote some time at least to discussing our options at least, because we havent really discussed long term Ice ige living anyway, so maybe nows the time...

Sounds interesting.

Cool idea. (Geddit?)Wink

Actually, a related issue is the potential disruption to the Gulf Stream caused by changes in the salinity of the Atlantic Ocean. A rapid increase in the calving of icebergs as a result of, say, the Greenland Ice Sheet melting, together with the gradual warming of the sea, could turn off or disrupt the warm water "conveyor" that the Gulf Stream provides, leading to a dramatic change in weather for the UK. It's worth bearing in mind that we are on a similar latitude to Labrador in Northern Canada.

Climate change, and its unpredictability, is one of the most difficult things to prep for in the long term. It affects growing season, extreme weather, crop disease; all sorts of things.

Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
19 November 2012, 12:52, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2012, 12:57 by Prepper1.)
(19 November 2012, 12:18)Tarrel Wrote:
(19 November 2012, 11:11)Scythe13 Wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

Sounds interesting.

Cool idea. (Geddit?)Wink

Actually, a related issue is the potential disruption to the Gulf Stream caused by changes in the salinity of the Atlantic Ocean. A rapid increase in the calving of icebergs as a result of, say, the Greenland Ice Sheet melting, together with the gradual warming of the sea, could turn off or disrupt the warm water "conveyor" that the Gulf Stream provides, leading to a dramatic change in weather for the UK. It's worth bearing in mind that we are on a similar latitude to Labrador in Northern Canada.

Climate change, and its unpredictability, is one of the most difficult things to prep for in the long term. It affects growing season, extreme weather, crop disease; all sorts of things.
Sooooo ... if we're on the same lattitude as Labrador in Canada can we therefore extrapolate that we'd see the same weather conditions and seasons etc...?????

Average Weather For Wabush, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

http://weatherspark.com/averages/28411/W...dor-Canada
http://www.holidaycheck.com/climate-wett...d_938.html
Hmmmm I wonder if N.R. is right.
Will it take many generations?
What happens if the gulf stream turns off over the next year or two due to whatever reason?
How fast would the changes happen then?
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...