Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer
30 November 2012, 15:40,
RE: Deer
deer are EVERYWHERE, plenty of "wild" boar around Devon, let loose by the Animal Liberation lot.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 November 2012, 18:32,
(30 November 2012, 15:06)Highlander Wrote: Thanks for that,... In this part of Scotland we are surounded by estates, who [ rightly so ] protect their deer because they bring in big bucks from shooters the world over,..it would be almost impossible to gain a weapon this way,...In my job I work with a part-timer who when not doing `our` job is the gillie for one of these estates,... I already get whole beasts from him for my dogs,... but it would be more than his lifes worth to `lend` me a rifle,.... mates would not come into it

.... but thanks for the tip `Guntraders`

Hi,
He wouldn't lend you a rifle as such, you are legally allowed to use an 'estate' rifle as he is employed by the land ou can legally use his rifle whilst supervised by him.

Your best bet is to join a rifle range with an air rifle, get to know people there and get tuition with a firearm then after 6months put in for a firearms licence for target shooting at the club, the police have no reason to not grant it if you have no record. After you've to a few months under your belt with a .22lr then put in for a larger calibre for target shooting, then look at reloading. Once your competent with that ask for a variation for deer stalking with the supervision of a mentor if you know any starkers or say you want to start paying for stalking. Then get your dsc1/2 so you know how to butcher and your pretty much sorted. If things turn bad you've got the means to hunt or defend your self.

Same applies to shotguns get down a clay shooting club join up and after 6 months put in for your licence, thy are rarely turned down unless you've been naughty!

30 November 2012, 21:28, (This post was last modified: 30 November 2012, 21:33 by SealDriver.)
I agree with what you say UncleFester, but if you join a rifle club you can use the clubs rifles and the rifles of other members whilst on the range so the larger calibres are there for new members as well as the smaller calibres. Also many centrefire clubs don't cater for the smaller calibres because they start shooting at 300 metres with centrefire rifles 233 upto 50 cal.

It's a case of 'horses for courses really' When I joined my first club non of the other members were hunters, they just shot at paper so I had to ask around to get stalking with a professional stalker. You can even get deer stalking on ebay these days.
(30 November 2012, 15:06)Highlander Wrote: Thanks for that,... In this part of Scotland we are surounded by estates, who [ rightly so ] protect their deer because they bring in big bucks from shooters the world over,..it would be almost impossible to gain a weapon this way,...In my job I work with a part-timer who when not doing `our` job is the gillie for one of these estates,... I already get whole beasts from him for my dogs,... but it would be more than his lifes worth to `lend` me a rifle,.... mates would not come into it

Yeah as UncleFester pointed out when I wrote 'lend' a rifle I meant use an estate rifle for the purpose of stalking deer, you just can't go around lending other peoples rifles. The other way to get stalking is to help a Ghillie with his Hind Cull in the winter...No paying guest wants to freeze their bits off in a Scottish winter for a deer that has no trophy antlers.Wink
30 November 2012, 23:59,
(30 November 2012, 21:28)SealDriver Wrote: I agree with what you say UncleFester, but if you join a rifle club you can use the clubs rifles and the rifles of other members whilst on the range so the larger calibres are there for new members as well as the smaller calibres. Also many centrefire clubs don't cater for the smaller calibres because they start shooting at 300 metres with centrefire rifles 233 upto 50 cal.

It's a case of 'horses for courses really' When I joined my first club non of the other members were hunters, they just shot at paper so I had to ask around to get stalking with a professional stalker. You can even get deer stalking on ebay these days.

Yeah as UncleFester pointed out when I wrote 'lend' a rifle I meant use an estate rifle for the purpose of stalking deer, you just can't go around lending other peoples rifles. The other way to get stalking is to help a Ghillie with his Hind Cull in the winter...No paying guest wants to freeze their bits off in a Scottish winter for a deer that has no trophy antlers.Wink

My nearest range is only 25m on old raf base and you can use air rifle to 50cal, next nearest has 30m indoor then 75m outdoor and again any cal so they do exsist, I suggested starting small as most people don't have any experience and it's better to learn basic shooting and safety with a smallbore.
1 December 2012, 00:08,
(30 November 2012, 18:32)UncleFester Wrote:

Hi,
He wouldn't lend you a rifle as such, you are legally allowed to use an 'estate' rifle as he is employed by the land ou can legally use his rifle whilst supervised by him.

Your best bet is to join a rifle range with an air rifle, get to know people there and get tuition with a firearm then after 6months put in for a firearms licence for target shooting at the club, the police have no reason to not grant it if you have no record. After you've to a few months under your belt with a .22lr then put in for a larger calibre for target shooting, then look at reloading. Once your competent with that ask for a variation for deer stalking with the supervision of a mentor if you know any starkers or say you want to start paying for stalking. Then get your dsc1/2 so you know how to butcher and your pretty much sorted. If things turn bad you've got the means to hunt or defend your self.

Same applies to shotguns get down a clay shooting club join up and after 6 months put in for your licence, thy are rarely turned down unless you've been naughty!

Thanks again,..I am ex Army so are familiar with most weapons, and I get whole beasts off the hill for the dogs so I can butch a bit too as I have to cut them into meal size lumps,.. and the nearest range/club is probably a couple of hundred miles away, so thats not practical,... I will look into it more and might come up with something yet
A major part of survival is invisibility.
1 December 2012, 00:18,
(30 November 2012, 23:59)UncleFester Wrote:
(30 November 2012, 21:28)SealDriver Wrote: I agree with what you say UncleFester, but if you join a rifle club you can use the clubs rifles and the rifles of other members whilst on the range so the larger calibres are there for new members as well as the smaller calibres. Also many centrefire clubs don't cater for the smaller calibres because they start shooting at 300 metres with centrefire rifles 233 upto 50 cal.

My nearest range is only 25m on old raf base and you can use air rifle to 50cal, next nearest has 30m indoor then 75m outdoor and again any cal so they do exsist, I suggested starting small as most people don't have any experience and it's better to learn basic shooting and safety with a smallbore.

Like I said Uncle Fester 'Horses for courses' in the Midlands it's mostly MOD ranges out to 600 metres and some Midland Clubs shoot on the Welsh Ranges out to a mile with 50 cal.

The first rifle I bought was a 6.5x55 and I went straight into deer stalking, if deer stalking is what you want and money is tight that is one way to go, not everyone will want to work there way through air rifles, rim fires, small calibre centre fires all the way up to deer calibre rifles.
1 December 2012, 08:48, (This post was last modified: 1 December 2012, 08:57 by UncleFester.)
(1 December 2012, 00:18)SealDriver Wrote:
(30 November 2012, 23:59)UncleFester Wrote:

Like I said Uncle Fester 'Horses for courses' in the Midlands it's mostly MOD ranges out to 600 metres and some Midland Clubs shoot on the Welsh Ranges out to a mile with 50 cal.

The first rifle I bought was a 6.5x55 and I went straight into deer stalking, if deer stalking is what you want and money is tight that is one way to go, not everyone will want to work there way through air rifles, rim fires, small calibre centre fires all the way up to deer calibre rifles.

No fair point mate, I know I'd never want to be without my .22 in a survival situation though virtually silent and with good shot placement more than capable on large species at close range, lighter ammo to carry and not much left of a rabbit once a 308 round has hit any part of it. For me the .22lr is the ultimate survival rifle.

Defence is a different thing all together though bigger is better if you have time to see someone/something coming at you, close quarters though you can't beat a 12g for personal protection with some BB's or no1's down the spout.

Just my personal opinion mate.
[/quote]

Thanks again,..I am ex Army so are familiar with most weapons, and I get whole beasts off the hill for the dogs so I can butch a bit too as I have to cut them into meal size lumps,.. and the nearest range/club is probably a couple of hundred miles away, so thats not practical,... I will look into it more and might come up with something yet
[/quote]

In that case mate get an air rifle and some ferrets, go door knocking till you find a farmer who will let you shoot/ferret his land then apply for our licence your military background is likely to help you no end in your application, I'd apply for .22lr for vermin shooting and .243 for fox and paid stalking that'll cover you for pretty much everything.
1 December 2012, 13:13,
It depends on your licensing team and their rules.

Try and go for a large calibre here straight away you need an Army background and permission to shoot.

In my area. A shotgun you no longer need to give a reason. Just apply and if you don't have a record you are fine. A FAC 22LR and you need the addition of permission to shoot on suitable land and they usually make it that land only at first, you can add more if you want but you can't just go anywhere. If you chose a club you leave the weapon and ammo there which defeats the object for us so go rabbitting even if it means visiting every farm within 10 miles. To go higher you need to ensure the land is suitable or find more and have experience on the .22. They may put restrictionson like you need to be suppervised. At renewal the restrictions are usually removed.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 December 2012, 13:23,
(1 December 2012, 13:13)Skean Dhude Wrote: It depends on your licensing team and their rules.

Try and go for a large calibre here straight away you need an Army background and permission to shoot.

In my area. A shotgun you no longer need to give a reason. Just apply and if you don't have a record you are fine. A FAC 22LR and you need the addition of permission to shoot on suitable land and they usually make it that land only at first, you can add more if you want but you can't just go anywhere. If you chose a club you leave the weapon and ammo there which defeats the object for us so go rabbitting even if it means visiting every farm within 10 miles. To go higher you need to ensure the land is suitable or find more and have experience on the .22. They may put restrictionson like you need to be suppervised. At renewal the restrictions are usually removed.

Yes S.D,
That is indeed the rub, The various Police Forces interpret the gun laws very differently and add their own little rules on top; unfortunately no one rocks the boat too much in fear of not getting a firearm at all. Shotguns are a great tool and it’s a lot easier to get a day out on the clays and a bit of rough shooting, so yeah that is definitely the way to go I reckon.

The main thing for any potential shooter is to get a secure gun safe and a robust shooters insurance policy.
1 December 2012, 14:13,
(27 May 2012, 17:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: . We have Red, Roe, Muntjuics, and Fallow deer in the wild plus some huge herds in capitivity, along with Buffalo, Wild Boar, Ostrichs, Alpacas etc and a few Wallabys

i've always been under the impression that if you hit a deer (or pheasant, or rabbit) and take it away, then you could be done for poaching, whereas, if the car in front of you hits the creature and you take it, that's ok. i don't
know if this is correct so hopefully somebody can let us know.
another thought is about the creatures in these wildlife parks and zoos. in a post shtf world would we break down the barriers to give these creatures a chance to survive and breed. same with farm animals. i think killing the apex predators would have to be done as these could become a real danger if on the loose
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same