Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas mask suits and boots
7 January 2013, 18:28,
Gas mask suits and boots
Over the years I have got myself a few things, some more important that others, some will be seen as over the top,..it all depends on what you deem to be the top of your threat list.

One of my top threats is a terrorist dirty bomb,..after all we have many bombers who have successed in deternating bombs in this country even though we have what I think is one of the best inteligence services in the world

If any one of those bombs that went off, had just a little of the many chemical or biological agents in them, the outcome for London,..and a good part of the country, depending on wind flow would have been far, far worse

So one of the things I have is a full NBC [ Nuclear, Biological and Chemical ] suit and gas mask [ x two cant have the wife dieing I cant cook ].

I was in the Military for a good while, but although they are good at teaching you how to operate in an NBC enviroment,.. they do not teach you everything,..or at least I cant remember,..so I have some questions.

I know that there needs to be an area in which you need to undress and wash down before entering your clean area,.. but you only have one gas suit,... and I am fairly certain that you dont wash those.

...so what is the sequence for getting in and out of your suit when you need to eat etc how is the suit looked after??.

... does your gas suit and mask stays in that middle washing area untill its needed again?

...and if the answer to the last question is `yes`, then how do you clean the inside of your suit thats clearly against the skin when its put back on?... because as you clean yourself of chemcals you will have these in the middle cleaning area

Any information/suggestion on this subject would be very helpful indeed, because I have looked through Google and have never come up with the nitty gritty of how you deal with these questions
A major part of survival is invisibility.
7 January 2013, 19:37,
RE: Gas mask suits and boots
It might be worth checking out aspestos removal and there shower units. Whilst its not nbc but its deadly and you might find something online.
7 January 2013, 19:51,
Just remember our services have to get it right everytime the bombers just need one bomb to get the results and headines.
Failure is NOT an option
7 January 2013, 20:21,
There are a few films where you see what happens and my understanding is pretty much the same..

First of all you hose yourself down and scrub outside to get rid of as many contaminants as possible. Test for radiation.
Then you go in a tent/room and do the same thing. Dry off with hot air. test for radiation.
Then you go into another tent/room and remove the entire suit. hanging up the suit in that tent.
Have a shower. Check your male parts are still there.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 January 2013, 20:30, (This post was last modified: 7 January 2013, 20:35 by Highlander.)
(7 January 2013, 19:37)Metroyeti Wrote: It might be worth checking out aspestos removal and there shower units. Whilst its not nbc but its deadly and you might find something online.

Thats a very good idea thanks

(7 January 2013, 20:21)Skean Dhude Wrote: There are a few films where you see what happens and my understanding is pretty much the same..

First of all you hose yourself down and scrub outside to get rid of as many contaminants as possible. Test for radiation.
Then you go in a tent/room and do the same thing. Dry off with hot air. test for radiation.
Then you go into another tent/room and remove the entire suit. hanging up the suit in that tent.
Have a shower. Check your male parts are still there.

I will look out for those film, thanks, and it looks like more than one room then

This looks good, I think you could do the same as this with a camping toilet tent,... which I just happen to have

http://www.graylingindustries.com/enviro...sures.aspx
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 January 2013, 10:25,
not the sort of threat i am worried about, so dosent form any of my plans. best thing i ever did was to leave(as in not live in) a city, no notable targets within range of where i live, also the prevailing wind is AWAY from this area, so not something i am concerned about.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 January 2013, 11:41, (This post was last modified: 8 January 2013, 11:44 by Prepper1.)
Funnily enough they didn't really teach much in the way of nuclear decontamination.
It was all chemical with the little fullers earth I think it was sachets you patted your suit clean with.

You had if you remember the auto injector needle with the tablet on top, I think we had three?

I was told it was an injection to protect your thyroid and a tab to calm you down if you were stressed...

You didn't get issued with second suits etc because I think they expected you to croak after a bit of fighting.

Other advice is to leave contaminated clothing outside after brushing any visible contaminants off with a handy brush on a nail on your wall.

Binning the clothes you had on under the suit, in the ante room or outside preferably if you don't mind being nakey outside.

Showering in the ante room, drying off and binning the towel.

Before putting new clothes on in the safe area.

Thats if you've not grown gills with all the radiation first... or three eyes... or your skins not fell off....
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 January 2013, 17:43,
The U.S. military treats the suits as single use, disposable items.

Mask filters are only good for 90 minutes.

As has been stated, the general consisus was that one was not expected to survive for many hours and seconds were never issued. I never remember being issued a second set of mask filters to change out.

The "epi-pen" was rumored to contain an overdose of atropene. At the onset of chemical attack, and on command, the unit all injected themselves and prevented the panic induced by troops in seisure roaming the battlefield.

At least that was the rumor along the Jr. officer grapevine.

Fortunately, in my day tear gas was the only agent we had to deal with on a regular basis. Occasionally some fool threw one upwind.
8 January 2013, 17:51,
i think a dirty bomb is a real possibility very much so
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
8 January 2013, 17:54,
(8 January 2013, 17:51)Barneyboy Wrote: i think a dirty bomb is a real possibility very much so

maybe, but i cant see one being dropped in Norfolk!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.