Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on homegrown militia?
18 April 2013, 17:45,
RE: Thoughts on homegrown militia?
I doubt that either type of group would work here either, we are too scattered, and the ones closest to me would be of little use or untrustworthy,... on this point I agree with BP

What could be done in more remote areas, where it is more difficult to form groups, is to form some sort of early warning/passing of information group, it doesn't have to be by radio either, the Highlanders used smoke and lights for years,.....but even then its a group that could be form easily only after some event,... no-one would entertain it now
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 April 2013, 17:51, (This post was last modified: 18 April 2013, 17:55 by bigpaul.)
i think Jack you are getting confused with the sort of community spirit that existed in WW2 and now. now we have no community spirit to speak of, too many "incomers", and a "i want it and i want it now" kind of society, if "society" is the right word-which i doubt, i doubt you would be able to organise a group anywhere in the country-and certainly not in the big cities, i think you will be up against people who will want what you have and will take it by force and with a "sod you" attitude to boot.

just look at some of the daily papers to see what i mean, the 3 teenagers who kicked a homeless man to death for a dare, and others of that ilk, there will be plenty of feral youth and no so young who will not care about "community" but what they can take.

give them a gun and you are as good as dead, and as for them joining your "militia", they'll laugh in your face as they cut your throat.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 April 2013, 18:06, (This post was last modified: 18 April 2013, 18:10 by Jack.)
Great points BigPaul, all of them. I was indeed referring to ww2 spirits as an example of historical reference and I am we'll aware of the scum that has replaced 90% of the population which was a motivation to this train of thought.
To form a type of militia after an event would be a slow process anyway, due to these points, here are steps you can take to self regulate/police any group and any group you would form would be n
Made from those people you may end up with that pull together for the greater good of community and so a natural trust will develop and cement relationships for the sake of self preservation.

Militias or whatever you may call them may well naturally evolve despite these other concerns where people that are in close proximity are threatened by outside aggressors.
But the original point was how to mould them into an effective unit against such aggressors/raiders/bandits...
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
18 April 2013, 18:14,
(18 April 2013, 18:06)Jack Wrote: Great points BigPaul, all of them. I was indeed referring to ww2 spirits as an example of historical reference and I am we'll aware of the scum that has replaced 90% of the population which was a motivation to this train of thought.
To form a type of militia after an event would be a slow process anyway, due to these points, here are steps you can take to self regulate/police any group and any group you would form would be n
Made from those people you may end up with that pull together for the greater good of community and so a natural trust will develop and cement relationships for the sake of self preservation.

i still think you need to take of the "rose tinted glasses" my friend!Tongue i think there will be far more of the scum you mentioned left alive post SHTF than of the other kind, when we can get rid of the scum or maybe after they kill each other off then maybe then and only then can we form any kind of militia or police, personally i dont think there will be enough people in any one area to come together after the collapse but as this suits my own plans i will stop there!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 April 2013, 18:28,
Lol Ohhhh they where removed long ago.
I think a 90% scum ratio is accurate, I hope they will indeed finish each other off but as Darwin dictates only the strongest/fittest survive we will be left with only the worse of this 90% once everything settles.
On the point if a militia will or will not be possible to form I think we have to agree to disagree, and is rendered moot in different scenarios or personal circumstance.
In my opinion every civilisation has to start somewhere or in this case restart, and there has to be a group of people to police it. These groups I would suggest typically start out as one form of militia or other, if this thread was titled "HOW TO REBUILD SOCIETY" a large part of discussion would revolve around how to maintain some type of limited law enforcement.
I have more faith in the human race to think that after a world shattering event we would simply devolve permanently until future generations are not viable. So there has to be a starting point.
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
18 April 2013, 18:47,
if this thread was entitled "how to rebuild society" you and i would NOT be having this conversation, when you see just what a PIGS EAR we have made of "Society" why is it there is always some silly sod who wants to start the whole sorry mess up again??Tongue post SHTF if people leave me alone then i will leave them alone, i want nothing to do with society/civilisation...i just want to be left alone.
18 April 2013, 18:55,
the thing with a new society it would need some level of police/milita/fighting force just to protect what was being built

people would have to work together just to basically survive as they re-learn the different trades need to feed themselves and survive the seasons. But if they build something good there will be a need to protect it form other as not all the scum will be killed off, some will survive, some may make up part of the above fighting force/milita
18 April 2013, 18:59,
(18 April 2013, 18:47)bigpaul Wrote: if this thread was entitled "how to rebuild society" you and i would NOT be having this conversation, when you see just what a PIGS EAR we have made of "Society" why is it there is always some silly sod who wants to start the whole sorry mess up again??Tongue post SHTF if people leave me alone then i will leave them alone, i want nothing to do with society/civilisation...i just want to be left alone.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin society can be great, unfortunately corruption is in human nature but that's a debate iv long left dead from a level sociology lol!
There are those of us like I-k-e that would be the silly sods to help nurture a new society, not replicate the old, so renew rather than restart may be a more appropriate phrase.
That's the name of the game I-K-E, to protect what your building. And if enough people have the same view as no doubt they will in places, then a militia will be born at that point
18 April 2013, 19:05, (This post was last modified: 18 April 2013, 19:20 by bigpaul.)
OR you could go so far out into the countryside that nobody will EVER find you, especially in a 90% die off as has been mentioned, once the fuel has all been used or spoilt, people will be staying closer to home anyway-even the scum, they wont want to walk very far will they? where i am going i do not expect to see another human being ever again, the places i refer to dont see anybody from week to week NOW so after collapse a stranger will stand out a mile, you probably dont believe me but you dont know Devon like i do.

i want nothing to do with "Society", either new or old, at some point it becomes baseless and corrupt, some bugger wants to be LEADER-any sod that thinks he is a leader is the one i stay away from!

i was having a conversation with another prepper from this site at one of our RV's. he made some comment about him not surviving-cos of his health or lack therof- and that his preps were for the next generation and the ones that follow, well my response to that is-sod the next generation, its my and mine's survival i'm interested in and no one elses, and that goes for any "society" too, i'm not interested in what comes after me, i shall be past caring!
18 April 2013, 19:21, (This post was last modified: 18 April 2013, 19:24 by Jack.)
We are going a bit off topic here but I do see why because of your own situation why your opinions are as such.
But for those of us that choose to stay for what ever reason it's an issue that if not addressed imposes risks.
Plans can change and people find they have to be fluid in adapting to these changes which is why I have a back up bug out plan with several redundancies allowing me to make fluid changes to fit as wide a list of scenarios as possible, some of us that plan to leave may find they cannot, or its less safe to do so... If I where a bandit I would set up outside of a city and identify any roads on or off Tarmac that people fleeing may take as they are the ones most likely to have the greater amount of stores and so more attractive targets.
A militia may well be what helps these people to leave by policing these rogues.

Lol well I cannot argue with that BP Wink
But for those of us interested in prepping for a possible future where militia/home grown enforcement will be required ill do some digging on the net for more info and would be great to see what others uncover too, we've had some great suggestions already