Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Most violent area
24 April 2013, 14:36,
Most violent area
Just been reading on bbc news that Glasgow has been ranked the most "violent area" in the uk with London and Belfast in 2nd and 3rd place Im not totally convinced and views on this?Big Grin I suppose its just more statistics to think about
24 April 2013, 14:38,
RE: Most violent area
dont know about Glasgow, but there have been a lot of murders in London in the last few years, even Barnstaple can be rough on a saturday night.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 April 2013, 15:16,
Glasgow has always been rough. A tough bunch up there.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 April 2013, 15:57,
It's all relative I think, we've had a couple murders in the last couple of years in Swindon, last year a serial killer taxi driver was caught that the wife and I witnessed the arrest at a local asda's... When I lived in Middlesex at the time it was said that we had worse car crime then the whole of New York (1990's) going to primary school in Slough I ended up with a shallow knife wound that could've been a lot worse if I didn't expect it (see it coming) and ended up with a small 1/2 inch pocket blade in my back quing up for lessons in a secondary school in wiltshire... Though statistically Stevenage has much worse crime and lived there for a couple years in peace!

Maybe people just report crime more in Glasgow where as in other places its so common to witness or be victim of violence it seems almost a waste of time, my brother got away from an attempted mugging a fortnight back he should've reported it but didn't...
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
24 April 2013, 16:38,
its reasonably quiet up here (Northumberland) thankfully.
the last event i recall was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Northu...ce_manhunt
24 April 2013, 17:39,
I guess that if you haven't lived in all of the big cities, then its going to be a hard question to answer, because most of us just dont know the answer.

..... but if Glasgow is the roughest, then it doesn't surprise me, it is certainly the most violent city I have had dealings with,... or at least parts of it are
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 April 2013, 17:57, (This post was last modified: 24 April 2013, 18:03 by Mortblanc.)
What winds up happening many times is that one small area will be incredably violent and two blocks away people will be walking their dogs at night and playing with their kids on the sidewalks.

The city 30 miles up the road had one area of a single mile square that is ranked as one of the top 5 most dangerous places in the U.S. annually. Two blocks away the city philharmonic orchastra holds posh carity events.

Portions of that city are incrdibly violent with 200+ murders each year, but they all come from one or two small areas, usually by repeat offenders and we are talking 200 or less murderers out of a population of 1 1/2 million.

9 times out of 10 the people that get killed needed killing, so the death toll of innocents is only 2-3 a year! Oddly enough, that is about the number of murders tptb solve annually!

I think there is a concerted effort to let them thin out their own ranks.

In my own area, only 30 miles away, we had a murder about 4 years back when a drug addled junkie killed his father over money he wanted to buy heroin.

Our biggist crime is burglry (30-40 break ins annually), and our biggist violent crime is simple assualt at the rate of 12-15 incidents per year (usually someone getting tanked and slapping their wife around).

Population in my county is about 40,000 and we cover about 600-800 sq/mi.

People from the city dio not come out here and mess with us. Lack of concrete to walk on confuses them and they are scared of the dark and we have no street lights.
24 April 2013, 18:27,
According to BBC news on right now the worse place in Britain is lewisham and the least northumberland...

There's truth to what you say Mort, two large groups in London organised a clash over Facebook and one of the kids got stabbed and killed, deserves him right, I'm sure if it wasn't him then he'd have been involved n another's murder in the same fight... What made me laugh was the reporter sounded like he was trying to make excuses for the lad that got slotted by saying the group he was with had to flee as they where severely under armed...
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
24 April 2013, 18:54,
Severly under armed????

When I was taking hand to hand and edged weapons training in the Army the DI gave the best advice I have ever heard about knife fighting.

If you want to win a knife fight,

Bring a gun!

Followed by his next bit of sage wisdom; "Even the winner of a knife fight goes to the intensive care unit."

Excuse me I have gone off the rails again.

So,,,who is planning on moving due to the BBC report?

I know that there are certain areas of the U.S. I will never live in or visit due to these considerations.

Choosing the place one lives is a large part of one's overall survival strategy.

Now comes all the posts about "I have to live here because of the wife's brother's cousin" or "my check will never get to me if I move!" or the all time favorites, "My job.....My wife....my kids...."
24 April 2013, 19:23,
(24 April 2013, 18:54)Mortblanc Wrote: Choosing the place one lives is a large part of one's overall survival strategy.

Now comes all the posts about "I have to live here because of the wife's brother's cousin" or "my check will never get to me if I move!" or the all time favorites, "My job.....My wife....my kids...."

oh, we've all heard those excuses! personally i was glad to get out of the city, even more so when a friend told me how my old neighbourhood had gone downhill recently!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.