Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tales from the Henhouse
15 May 2013, 20:57,
Tales from the Henhouse
There seem to be a few members on the Forum who do keep chickens, and they are certainly increasing in popularity as folks try to produce more of their own food, so I thought I would add a bit of information.

First of all, is the breed of chicken. If you are just after a few feathery beauties to keep you well supplied with eggs you cannot go wrong with obtaining a little flock of hybrids. The best known are probably the Warrens (the brown chicken seen everywhere and on the TV adverts) or Black Rocks. These hens are bred specifically for egg laying, and will give you a regular supply of good sized eggs. They are not, however, bred for longevity and after a few years of hectic egg laying their productivity reduces dramatically. They are very slight chickens, and not bred for meat so do not make much of a meal (if you have to eat your own chickens). If you want to breed for meat, then choose Sasso or Ixworth hybrids. These are bred to put on a good amount of weight quite quickly.

There are also the old-fashioned utility breeds like Sussex, Orpington, Marans and the large Brahma. These also lay well and can be bred for meat. If you want to rear your own chickens without the use of an incubator you would probably need to keep purebreeds. The hybrid chickens bred specifically for egg or meat have had the maternal instinct to sit and brood eggs bred out of them, and they rarely will go broody. Of course, the most important thing you will need to do if you want to breed chickens is to acquire a nice cockerel. Contrary to the belief of some people, you do not need to have a cockerel for your hens to lay eggs - without a cockerel the eggs will not be fertile, but it will not stop the hens laying. Hens enjoy having a chap around, and many cockerels will act as a protector of their little flock, but cockerels can be a noisy nuisance, not to mention an aggressive force in your garden.

I have to say this - chickens seem to die out of sheer pique! They can be fine one day and at death's door the next. The causes are often obscure, but can range from respiratory disease, being egg-bound, or from a disease such as Marek's. Silkies are particularly prone to contracting Marek's disease, and the symptoms are very recognisable. The best way to keep your flock healthy is to provide clean water, good food and sanitary conditions in the henhouse. The rest is down to luck and deity!

Chickens can be afflicted by annoying little mites that reside in the walls of the henhouse. They come out at night and bite the skin of your hens. It is also possible to actually see the mites on the chickens if you have a bad infestation. Failure to control the problem will result in weakened livestock, and possible eventual death. To check if you have a mite infestation, pin a piece of white cloth in your henhouse at night and inspect it the next morning. If there are numbers of mites (showing as tiny red spots) then you need to treat the inside of the henhouse and also the hens with insecticide. Any poultry supplier will be able to provide the correct treatment.

It is quite common for chickens to go into moult. They lose feathers and can look as if they have been partly plucked. Not all chickens moult at the same time, but many seem to settle for an autumn event. Very hot summer weather can also bring a moult on, and chickens can become quite dehydrated. You do need to provide some shady areas for them in their run so they can escape from heat and dustbathe in peace. Make sure they have plenty of clean water, and keep it in the shade.

At this time of year hens are becoming broody. They will lay a few eggs and then sit on them. They will also try to steal the eggs laid by other hens to add to their little pile. If you do not have a cockerel, then there is no point to your hen trying to hatch her eggs. You can let nature take its course and eventually she will get bored of sitting for nothing and will come off her nest. If this is not an option, try to stop her from sitting in a warm henhouse - if you can keep her cool she may come out of being broody. She will, however, keep trying to sit on eggs on and off throughout the summer. It is, after all, the best time for hens to bring up their chicks when food is plentiful and the weather is better. While she is a broody she will not be laying, but you will need to make sure she is eating and drinking while she persists in sitting.

So there we are. Chickens are fascinating little things - great characters and very watchable. They are also a tremendous help in the garden if you want an area to be weeded and cleared of bugs and other edible goodies.

Happy chicken keeping!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
15 May 2013, 22:31,
RE: Tales from the Henhouse
one of my blackrocks has just gone broody,have got some fertile eggs to have a go at hatching.i was told to get a broody bird to stop sitting,put ice packs under her (the blue plastic ones for coolboxs).
15 May 2013, 22:38,
My Light Sussex surprise me, at the moment they are happy to dig in the soil and be passed extra dandelions, they hardly touch the layers pellets and corn I give them but still get plenty of eggs. I am raising a couple of cockerels, another Light Sussex (LS) to breed with the girls and a Rhode Island Red (RIR) to cross with that offspring.

A RIR male and LS female will produce sex linked chicks - the female chicks look like RIR chicks and the male chicks are the yellow LS chicks. Good to know if you only want more ladies.

Although I am near the edge of an urban area (and my area is defiantly in the urban part) I have found people are fine with me keeping cockerels. Have enough space to keep them about 60 yards from any houses and by not letting noisy cockerels out before 8am, no one minds. Most all people have double glazing these days anyway. I get plenty of cock a doodle doing through the day, but then, the neighbours dog has always barked, the seagulls have always made a noise. Had nothing but positive feedback, the neighbours say it is relaxing and a nice sound that makes them feel more rural or what have you.
15 May 2013, 22:39,
I have 4 Australops. Started with 6 and lost two due to predators.

Also have a big Orpington rooster.

The little black hens started laying at 6 months and have given me an egg a day each, except for the deepest part of winter.

One of my hens went broody at less than a year old. She would fight me to keep the eggs.

My only problem is that keeping stock is restrictive. I travel a lot and have to get help keeping the birds fed and watered while I am gone.
15 May 2013, 23:52,
Well I am down to just 4 warrens at the moment, great layers , did have blackrocks , bluebells, roadies....but due to refurbishment of hen village, and amenities centre I intend to get some more varied varieties within the next few weeks.....harry said he will open the new development ....but I have to play polo after....life's a bitch ...then you die. great post mary !