Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shelf life ,Tinned and Dry
5 February 2012, 12:48, (This post was last modified: 5 February 2012, 13:05 by Reality Jones.)
Shelf life ,Tinned and Dry
This a study of the nutitional value of tinned goods that are over a hundred years old as well as some dried food

http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm
It also adds to the amount of time we thought we could store tinned products for
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

5 February 2012, 13:40,
RE: Shelf life ,Tinned and Dry
thankyou for that my friend very interesting and helpful
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
5 February 2012, 18:41,
Nothing new there. Almost everything is corrupted by our PC mentality that says there is nomore common sense and everything needs to be spelt out for our sheeple.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 February 2012, 19:30,
(5 February 2012, 18:41)Skean Dhude Wrote: Nothing new there. Almost everything is corrupted by our PC mentality that says there is nomore common sense and everything needs to be spelt out for our sheeple.

dont under stand your post skean dhude are you talking about tin life or something else pal
5 February 2012, 21:06,
All food tins have to have a use by date by law. Even if that item has no expiry date itself. It is so the simple minded among us, about 60% of the population don't poision themselves when they open a tin of something that is off.

That is all I meant. SUrely you don't think I was being critical of our safety obsessed society. Smile
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 February 2012, 21:25, (This post was last modified: 5 February 2012, 21:30 by Barneyboy.)
(5 February 2012, 21:06)Skean Dhude Wrote: All food tins have to have a use by date by law. Even if that item has no expiry date itself. It is so the simple minded among us, about 60% of the population don't poision themselves when they open a tin of something that is off.

That is all I meant. SUrely you don't think I was being critical of our safety obsessed society. Smile

not at all pal just miss understood you post is all Big Grin
to be honest i didnt no that tins could last that long i new that 2 years date not true but 100 hundred years blood hell that a long time that was then tins now are better made so how long can they last
6 February 2012, 10:06, (This post was last modified: 6 February 2012, 10:07 by Scythe13.)
Skean Dhude, you know I have uber respect for you, but I'm with BarneyBoy on this post.
(5 February 2012, 18:41)Skean Dhude Wrote: Nothing new there. Almost everything is corrupted by our PC mentality that says there is nomore common sense and everything needs to be spelt out for our sheeple.
It caught me off guard, and I was set back a bit, "Wow, Skean Dhude, I didn't know that, and I'm not 100% un-sheepled." Don't forget, common sense isn't that common. Especially in the youngens like me haha. Loads of people coming to this site were once, or still are partly (this is my case/situation) sheeple. We still believe a lot of what is in the news. These common sense things are the kind of articles that break us away from our dependance on being spoonfed information. We are not to the same levels as yourself, NR, BP, or any of the 'old guns' on the site. Let us catch up with our dignity.....which I seem to have left at the start of this post, and which will all be deteriorated by the confession I'm about to write.

I thought canned food would last like 4-5 years. So planned on storing for 4 years, then eating and replacing like a normal rotation. To find out they can last over 20 years, I'm not going to bother rotating stock. Eating the older stuff and storing the newer stuff. I'm just going to keep on storing for like 15 years, if we have that long. That way I'll have LOADS more tins in storage.
I knew things like salt, sugar, and honey never went out of date though.

I'm not totally a sheeples.
6 February 2012, 11:49,
Careful here.

Bear in mind that we don't build things like we used to. Same goes for tins. many are a lot thinner. I'd been up the rotation but extend your stocks if you have the cash.

As far as the knowledge goes, you alluded to it yourself in another post, you are not taught to think for yourself any more. Logic is thrown out of the wndow for indocrination and obedience to the state. They don't want thinkers they want drones.
Skean Dhude
6 February 2012, 12:27, (This post was last modified: 6 February 2012, 12:34 by Barneyboy.)
(6 February 2012, 11:49)Skean Dhude Wrote: Careful here.

Bear in mind that we don't build things like we used to. Same goes for tins. many are a lot thinner. I'd been up the rotation but extend your stocks if you have the cash.

As far as the knowledge goes, you alluded to it yourself in another post, you are not taught to think for yourself any more. Logic is thrown out of the wndow for indocrination and obedience to the state. They don't want thinkers they want drones.

like ants work then die for the greater good, yeah right!!
who is it that makes the decisions not the MP guess they dont want to be known
6 February 2012, 13:13,
(6 February 2012, 11:49)Skean Dhude Wrote: Careful here.

So how long should we expect a tin to last.....about? I'm not going to risk the 20 year thing. I was thinking maybe 15 years max age on a tin. But I expect something to have happened by then anyway.