Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User Experiences
27 March 2014, 23:17,
RE: User Experiences
I see two major contradictions at work;

If you are here as a new member, wanting to learn to survive, how can you have much to "contribute"?

If you are here to help people learn to survive why do you expect something in return?

And over the years I have come to realize that the term "limited access" simply means eliminating anyone that does not agree with you.

Why should all the "good stuff" be secreted away where only those that already know it can get too it?
28 March 2014, 09:57, (This post was last modified: 28 March 2014, 10:12 by NorthernRaider.)
When Tartar Horde, Preserve freak and Light Speed and Wet & Cold arrived here for example as new members to the forum as soon as they settled in then they reached out to the community then dropped superb articles on Two Way radio comms ( in a form novices could understand) An article about cycling and bikes and load carrying and a few quality and excellent advice and articles on traditional archery and a superb article on small scale solar power for a workshop or log cabin.

Even when Scythe13 arrived here as another displaced refuge from the tyranny of the other place he immediately made great steps to participate by organising an RV in the SW, doing bug out drills and winter field craft skills all within a few weeks of his arrival.

That Sir is NEWBIEs (at the time) getting stuck in from almost day ONE.

We are here to help EACH OTHER to develop prepping in the UK to a higher standard for ALL, not to provide a news and data service for the bone idle. If they want to just download and take then the archives are on the home page for their pleasure.

Monty scrawled
" Why should all the "good stuff" be secreted away where only those that already know it can get too it?"

I try to forgive your stupidity because you are a foreigner, but sadly it is clear your opinion of your own capabilities exceeds your capability to read and understand a thread.

this was my comment from yesterday

RETongueOST 25 yesterday
"I am all for ensuring newbies ( I still hate that term its disrespectful) get access to the essential hard core info and lists , it is after all why I have been producing and giving away my basic prepping guide for over 12 years free of charge to anyone who asks. Its in the download section along with petabytes of other info folks have donated gladly for all to benefit from without charge.

But this is a FORUM, SUKs forum, forums are for discussion, debate, chat, informing, disagreeing, countering, advising, opinionating but not just reading, downloading and leaving.

This is supposed to be a FORUM not a BLOG, not a NEWSPAPER and not a MAGAZINE, for it to be a successful, vibrant and thriving FORUM it requires EVERYONE to chip in and do their bit, large or small. The download section is there courtsy of SD for folks to access whatever they want."

It should also be a place where polite, respectful intelligent comments and contributions be made by educated foreigners can chip in like Charles Harris and Jonas, not a place where trolls from overseas can spend their time whinging and disrupting events.

I wonder just how many " preppers" come to the forum or the archive and download all they want for weeks and months, I wonder just how many of these users bother to just drop SD a brief E mail or PM just to say THANKS SD FOR ALL YOUR WORK, I bet its hardly anyone

28 March 2014, 10:57,
The thing is this , as a example.....Mary n ...I loved her threads and posts ....always looked at them and looked forward to them , straight forward and honest content , struck a cord with me ....I miss her Contrubutions greatly. HL the same UKS the same and many others WHERE have they gone and WHY? LL is back great ...and not at all boring GG do-er oh yes you are pal .....you took time to go up to HLs gig.....gunna give you a slap when I meet you, We can,t all be posting stuff then backing it all up with links facts and numbers, even if I knew how ....not me mate! This does not make me better or worse than anyone else....fact is I am learning from you all.....and the people that do link give facts ....I admire but the illusion that this makes you more serious than me is just that an illusion you are just down the road a ways......I will be along shortly , there really is nothing wrong with the site in my opinion ......if you must have or feel the need for a elite SUK then create SUK HD .........but I doubt you will have many members.....you could well disappear up you arse .....who would be your audience , this is ment in the best possible taste.
28 March 2014, 11:18,
(27 March 2014, 23:17)Mortblanc Wrote: If you are here as a new member, wanting to learn to survive, how can you have much to "contribute"?

If you are here to help people learn to survive why do you expect something in return?

Spot on MB, couldn't agree more.

NR:
(28 March 2014, 09:57)NorthernRaider Wrote: Monty scrawled
" Why should all the "good stuff" be secreted away where only those that already know it can get too it?"

I try to forgive your stupidity because you are a foreigner, but sadly it is clear your opinion of your own capabilities exceeds your capability to read and understand a thread.

(28 March 2014, 09:57)NorthernRaider Wrote: It should also be a place where polite, respectful intelligent comments and contributions be made by educated foreigners can chip in like Charles Harris and Jonas, not a place where trolls from overseas can spend their time whinging and disrupting events.

Polite, respectful and intelligent comments...

I've not seen that from you recently. Somewhat slippery of you, isn't it? Demanding that people be respectful and polite, yet you're rude to anyone who dare disagree with you!

If you don't like people taking the information you post online (off your own back I may add - no one forces you to do this) and offering nothing in return, then the answer is simple. Stop posting if it aggrieves you that much.
28 March 2014, 11:19,
Hi Mortblanc,

Re newbie contribution: I get what you are saying, but I meant it differently.

i.e. when a new person to the forum comes along, participation is what should be expected of them. Joining in discussion and contributing where they can.

With all of the various subject headings I'm sure most people can find an area where they have knowledge that they can share.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 March 2014, 11:20,
I still think the forum is fine, just the gay colours could do with dialing down a notch. This is colour scheme is like the spinal tap version - cranked up to 11.

I've been on some forums that have, in the user options section, the ability to put different schemes in place, so a user can pick one from a list. If you could add a black and white one in that'd be grand SD Smile
28 March 2014, 11:26, (This post was last modified: 28 March 2014, 11:33 by NorthernRaider.)
Why have all the good and productive posters gone? because they gave and gave and few gave anything back in return, that's why most folks left among other issues.

SS says "We cannot all be posting stuff then backing it all up with links facts and numbers, even if I knew how ....not me mate"

NR says No one is asking you to do that, all we are asking you to do is what you ARE DOING NOW, Participate nothing more nothing less, you join in the discussions, add comments on stuff that interests you, YOU JOIN IN, That is all I am asking people to do. But what is happening is huge numbers of people simply LOG ON- READ- DOWNLOAD and GO if they are to idle or to selfish then they should fuck off and leave the forums to those prepared to chip in. No one HAS to produce articles but its nice when someone does work hard and produce then post an article, and its even bloody better when members READ IT, think about it, add advice, corrections or comments because every post enriches the original article. That SS is what forums are FOR, not using them like a newspaper to be read and discarded.

SD has posted and asked the members to express their feeling about the forum both god and bad, for better and worse, its been read by hundreds but only a dozen have bothered to show enough respect and consideration like yourself to reply.

I love this comment from SS cos he says it how he see's it

"if you must have or feel the need for a elite SUK then create SUK HD .........but I doubt you will have many members.....you could well disappear up you arse .....who would be your audience , this is ment in the best possible taste. "

SS I would far rather work and interact with a dozen preppers who will share, respond, criticise, correct and interact and build links and contacts with, than spend weeks producing articles just for hundreds people to read, consume and not give anything in return. I would also add if they cannot participate and cooperate on the forums then I doubt if anyone will want to work with them after TSHTF because they are just consumers not contributors.

So YES GIMME an SUK HD its doesn't need many members it just need those who will contribute,write, question, add to, criticise, correct, expand, advise just as you are doing today on this thread, gimme twelve contributors over users any day.

28 March 2014, 11:39, (This post was last modified: 28 March 2014, 11:42 by bigpaul.)
ANY forum will DIE if people just take the information on it and don't give anything back in return, we have all seen forums wither and die cos people didn't contribute.

as far a newbies are concerned, I've always thought " the only stupid question is the one you DONT ask"!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 March 2014, 11:45, (This post was last modified: 28 March 2014, 12:27 by NorthernRaider.)
Lets be honest here SS, Those who just take and take and take but never add or contribute are they worth bothering with ? if they cannot be helpful in any way or constructive on a forum are they really are going to be of use to man nor best when TSHTF.

You see em at RVs and gathering " Always first to the bar but last to reach for their wallet, always first round the camp fire but last to go for firewood"

What sort of people and what sort of psyche can people have if they can just sit back and take and take from people like SD who uses his own money, his own time, his own effort to set up and run a forum, build an archive, nag peole into producing articles, keep everything running, hell even buy new servers out of his own pocket. Or people like Light speed who has spent bloody months rsearching, adapting, editing, and producing first rate articles for the forum, or Scythe 13 who has given up many weekends like BP has done to organise RVs for members.

Like it or NOT the forums in many cases across the world have declining members and falling readership and in the main it is because the small hard core of people doing all the writing and producing got fed up of simply being used, so they stop posting, the forums become nothing more than banal chat rooms which causes less people to join in and the vicious circle is complete.

I like the old analogy of USE IT OR LOSE IT.

As for YOU SD Sir, you are putting your own blood sweat and tears, and money into something people will willingly devour day in day out without thanks nor consideration, they will take and take for as long as you are prepared or able to do it, then they will discard you and move on. your kindness and generosity to the community is unbounded at I fear at the loss of benefit to your own kin.

Its all fine and dandy when you sustain a vibrant and active forum with your generosity because you reap rewards in the form of expanded knowledge, information, guidance, reviews, tips etc , the thriving forum ENHANCES your own preps. But a forum where a few committed hard core members is struggling to sustain a growing number of CONSUMERS who will not participate or simply chip in to the discussions is only going to drain you negatively. Your contributors and article writers get fatigued or worn down from constantly trying to get people to add to the greater good, they get fed up when criticised by trolls, etc.

But SIR I put it to you many of your small hard core of contributors do /did so because their efforts not only used to help new members of the community, but it also USED to enhance their preps because of the feedback, corrections, comments and tips the ACTIVE members responded with. But many have left and for various reasons and some I know have told me they left because they felt that their efforts were becoming wasted, and they were not improving their preps as few people bothered to reply to the articles.

As an example, My little very amateurish preppers guide I have produced since 2000 when it was called the Little Red Book, from 2000 to 2011 every time I published the latest version of it, I received dozens of replies with comments (good and bad) tips, corrections, better ways of doing things, additions, omissions, links and much welcomed improvements I gladly applied to each addition. since 2011 I have had 97 requests for the latest slimmed down version, two people said thanks and no one has bothered to help or advise me improve or simply it, three years of taking but not providing feedback to make the guide better (and by god it does need improving)

The same is happening on the forums.

So I suggest respectfully and humbly if only a few are willing to make that tiny effort to join in , and the majority are only going to consume, then perhaps we should focus our efforts on the few that WILL and leave the archives open to the downloaders and consumers who wont.

bigpaul

ANY forum will DIE if people just take the information on it and don't give anything back in return, we have all seen forums wither and die cos people didn't contribute.

as far a newbies are concerned, I've always thought " the only stupid question is the one you DONT ask"!

I say you are correct on both points.

One good, nay very good aspect of the UK forums especially with the advent and opening up of some new forums recently is I have learned a priceless lesson about trust and respect, indeed the lessons have been painful but overall very rewarding as I have been able to work out far better with whom I can work with and trust if TSHTF. My open door welcome to all approach to visiting preppers and my willingness to lend expensive books and kit to other preppers has been changed forever, and its all thanks to the forums.

31 March 2014, 20:56,
I have not posted for a long while, and very rarely even pop in to have a look these days,.. and probably wont do a lot if the forum stays as it is today,... why??

First of all the friendliness has taken leave of many people, I would hazard a guess that many people new to prepping would be scared to death to even voice a question on this forum for fear of being shot down as many people have before.... some people are damn right aggressive and rude, unless people agree with them,.. but they continue to be able to do this unchecked..... its mentioned that there are so few posters,... for me its not hard to see why

I know that the title of the forum is `Survival UK`,.. well to my way of thinking, there is a great deal of difference between prepping and survival,... `surviving` is prepping `survival` to my thinking is more to do with bush craft,.. and much of what takes place on the forum now falls into the bush craft pot not the prepping pot

I dont think that the forum is run well enough, SD is the only law on the forum, and SD is the first to admit that he is away a lot, so when something goes wrong nothing is done,... until SD returns when he closes `x` number of threads,.. the damage has already been done by that stage,... it would make sense to have at least one moderator to keep an eye on things.

So for me,... unfriendly and too gun ho,...with very little practical advice,...and far too much un moderated arguing
A major part of survival is invisibility.