Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S13's Skills Project. Skill 1 - Hunting
27 April 2014, 17:55,
RE: S13's Skills Project. Skill 1 - Hunting
Nice hunting.

It's a pretty shocking lesson isn't it? Hunting is not always as easy hu?

I think the pup might be an issue for being stealth.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 April 2014, 18:05,
I think the pup might be an issue for being stealth. - Absolutely, but he does enjoy it!! And we (me/the dog) have managed to sneak up on the deer in the past.

The strange thing was though, whilst driving back home which is about a 25 minute journey through rural Devon, all the fields where empty as well, normally you'll see plenty of pigeon's; pheasants; rabbits etc grazing in the fields, but there was absolutely nothing around today at all. Very strange, could be the weather I guess.
27 April 2014, 18:08,
yep, its the weather, they've got the sense to get in out of the rain(especially pheasants)....unlike some people I know(sister in law)!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 April 2014, 03:18, (This post was last modified: 28 April 2014, 03:28 by Mortblanc.)
Bunny in the tall grass.

[Image: 261cc5c6-2edf-4ea2-97cf-ff622a3bac87_zpsa1adcc55.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1231_zpsb6766d0d.jpg]

Rocky the Flying squirrel right in the middle of the photo.

Another rabbit in the back field. tge furst one was about 10meters out, this one was a good 30m across a draw.

[Image: DSCF1227_zpse08adb82.jpg]

And if all fails there are always these guys hanging around. Just the eggs would keep me alive for a good while and if Homer and Jethro do not calm down a bit they are going to be in a dumpling pot. That's Homer in front giving me the "stink eye".

[Image: DSCF1225_zps4ba9a638.jpg]
28 April 2014, 07:19,
Didn't manage to get out the other day but found this outside work this morning, couldnt get that close before it flew off though, time to practice stalking more i think. http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/danzor...%20Uploads
28 April 2014, 09:28, (This post was last modified: 28 April 2014, 09:42 by Scythe13.)
Brilliant feedback and pics everyone!

We still have next weekend to go.

I'm at work now, so will try a little 'suit and tie' stalking on my lunch break with my mobile, and see what I can get there too. I'll take my camera into work tomorrow and see if I can upload the photos through one of work's computers.

DZ, great to see you're always aware now and checking for food wherever you go. That's the fun of developing the "hunter's eye". With practice and plenty of trial and error, you'll be able to be much more consistant with your results.

Also, the further affield you are, the wilder and more weary the animals. For real fun, try getting woodies while out in the middle of nowhere! I've heard stories that they have freaked out and flown away, just because they saw a person (in full camo, but with eyes showing) blink! That small blink was enough to freak them and they scattered. If you can stalk a wild woodie, you're a beast.
29 April 2014, 19:46,
Another one while at work, ill try and get a wild one in the next few days but last time i was out i couldnt get close to them, hopefully ill get better with practice. http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/danzor...ml?filters[user]=140036099&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/danzord1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00125_zpsf8a53966.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=140036099&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0&_suid=139879714674304861252091359347
29 April 2014, 20:28,
well it seems that either the woodies round my way are either very docile or im some sort of ninja. had one sitting in a tree just above my garden fence and i was able to get around 4 foot from it before i physically couldnt get any closer without going and getting the step ladders Big Grin
i also manged to get pics of it but im still trying to work out a way to upload them.

woodies are actually quite a common site round here, quite regularly have them sitting on mine or one of the nabours roofs Big Grin
Winter is coming
29 April 2014, 21:25,
(29 April 2014, 20:28)Hex Wrote: well it seems that either the woodies round my way are either very docile or im some sort of ninja.

You'll be amazed by the difference between semi urbanised woodies, and wild woodies. The mother in law has 2 massive woodies that will land right next to you and peck the sandwich in your hand. But the reason I'm suggesting to try for the wild ones, it's 1000x more of a challenge!
29 April 2014, 22:04,
true Big Grin but its still food if im desperate Wink
Winter is coming