Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
At last, a real preppers forum
1 March 2012, 10:04,
RE: At last, a real preppers forum
(1 March 2012, 10:00)uks Wrote: Dont forget clothing, think about cooking for larger numbers big dutch oven.

I am buying Karrimoor boots and trainers in many sizes. They are cheap, long lasting and good quality. I am also buying myself and my wife lots of clothes. My kids are more difficult as they are growing, but I will probably get 3-4 yrs worth of clothes and shoes for them too.

I am a little bit obsessive about this, but I really feel that we will need all of this, and soon.

See, my money is useless post SHTF, and whilst I can make a lot of it now, I may as well use it for good, which is why I buy so much, so that I can share and help a few others survive.
1 March 2012, 10:06,
You should rent a farm house, or a whole farm.

That'll provide you with time to reinforce the windows, build blast shutters, maybe even build your own bomb shelter.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 March 2012, 10:06, (This post was last modified: 1 March 2012, 10:07 by NorthernRaider.)
(1 March 2012, 09:58)Weyoun Wrote:
(1 March 2012, 09:41)NorthernRaider Wrote: Stevie, if you are going to bulk buy grub ( nice move BTW) try and ensure it all does not expire at the same time. Nowt worse than finding out all your grub is past its sell by date at the same time. Sometimes is better to keep buying smaller batchs fron multiple suppliers over say 6 months. that way your not risking all your grub at once.
BTW Be careful with those gas canisters if they are the long skinny ones that sit in a compartment on the side of the cookers, they leak sometimes. I had a nasty scare last year when one started leaking in my van as I was driving along.

They are exactly those gas canisters, so I will keep an eye on them as I have another 88 of them coming.

In terms of buying, I get your point, bu the bulk I buy in is every week. I am looking to build a store of 30 tonnes of food alone. Enough for a small commune to hold out for a long time. I also have 1000's packets of seed, yeast, herbs & spices and baking ingredients will long shelf lifes.

I may be slightly over cautous but I've taken to no longer keeping any gas canisters (apart from the fag light canister) in the house they are out in the garage now which has much better ventilation in case of leaks.
(1 March 2012, 10:06)Scythe13 Wrote: You should rent a farm house, or a whole farm.

That'll provide you with time to reinforce the windows, build blast shutters, maybe even build your own bomb shelter.

Or try getting a job managing a corporate farm or perhaps a National Trust house?

1 March 2012, 11:23,
Personally I believe only a well armed group can survive, or those that can keep moving and stay hidden, no matter where you live if your house is visible it will sooner or later become a target, forgetting about armed street gangs who will travel in large numbers, we will have military trained predatory groups looking to take from others, can't see a small family no matter how well armed standing a chance of survival, I've said it before and I'll say it again, some of these people are little more then animals now when we have law and order, take the law away? men, woman and children will be beaten, raped, killed and eaten! and some of it just for fun.
It's gona be a big bad world out there and people need to stop dreaming!
1 March 2012, 12:47,
if it gets that bad, forget living in our normal properties, we need to all Bug Out away from residential areas, and leave the yobs, gangs, chavs to get on with it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 March 2012, 12:56,
I love the idea Weyoun, I think the biggest problem is going to finding a group who have the money, skills and personality to join in on a project like this Smile I think in your situation I'd worry about family and friends , rent a property and prepare it as your BOL. then once you have that in place speak to others you think would be useful to your group and would fit in Smile

I actually spend far too much of my time thinking about post collapse politics and economics, I should really try and find the time to set it down for everyone to laugh at, I don't want to derail your thread.

I think it's a great idea and I hope you can find the people you need Smile

PF
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
1 March 2012, 17:25,
(28 February 2012, 06:11)Weyoun Wrote: BTW, it called Krav Maga and it was developed by the Israeli special forces.

Krav Maga is good, I did that for a while. I always preferred Systema, favoured by Spetsnatz. Those Russians really know how to fight.
1 March 2012, 17:36,
Guys,

I think that even a green belt in Oragami will be enough for what we need. These variations are only really different when you get to the higher levels and none of us want to spend that much time. OK if you have it. In my view you want something that boosts you quickly away from the ordinary person. Any of these would do. Find one that is cheap and convienient.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 March 2012, 17:42,
(1 March 2012, 17:25)00111001 Wrote:
(28 February 2012, 06:11)Weyoun Wrote: BTW, it called Krav Maga and it was developed by the Israeli special forces.

Krav Maga is good, I did that for a while. I always preferred Systema, favoured by Spetsnatz. Those Russians really know how to fight.

A 9mm browning is better, I remember Bruce Lee's response to an interviewer who once asked him " Mr Lee what would you do if you were attacked by 4 men armed with knives who surrounded you?"

" Bleed profusely" was the reply.

2 March 2012, 02:27,
(1 March 2012, 17:36)Skean Dhude Wrote: Guys,

I think that even a green belt in Oragami will be enough for what we need. These variations are only really different when you get to the higher levels and none of us want to spend that much time. OK if you have it. In my view you want something that boosts you quickly away from the ordinary person. Any of these would do. Find one that is cheap and convienient.

I like this because it is true; as long as you are doing some sort of training even untrained bag work you will develop a fighting mind to some degree, if nothing else it can become a foundation for future training if you decided to take it beyond basic.

(just don’t make the mistake of going up against a trained fighter or someone that club trains on a regular basis)

All my kids train daily and have done from the age of 7 onwards, my 7 year old started training about a month ago now, I might have a video of him tomorrow doing some basics, depends on the weather, don’t want my camcorder getting wet, I will post it on my YouTube, if you want check it out.