Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Food that grows itself
26 September 2011, 19:29,
Food that grows itself
I'm hoping that after an event I'll be able to pick up a good supply of food just growing around as nature intended. I like brambles and the odd wild raspberries and the like plus I've started expanding on this with Acorn and Pine Trees. Had a try and tasted them. To be honest I was very disappointed but feel in an emergency they would be available and ignored by most people. It could make the difference between life and death.

Looking at sweet chestnuts next but what else are there out there? Looking to find and try them.

Anyone got any ideas?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 September 2011, 10:19,
RE: Food that grows itself
I recently found a book on foraging as I'm similarly interested in learning about the food resources under our noses, and available, if we have the knowledge to find them. Mushrooms are a particular interest and although I know there are many poisonous species to be avoided I think this would be a ready source of food. I'm not sure of the nutritional benefits either and there may be some variation between the different types also but I was quite surprised at the number of people mushroom picking in our local woods at the weekend so a general awareness seems to be building.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
27 September 2011, 10:30,
Brian,

I enjoy the looking around to see nature in its glory. And then eating it.

I'm a bit wary of mushroom, there is an article on the main site about them. You need practice to correctly identify them. Best get that now.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 September 2011, 10:30,
I purchased Richard Maybey's "Food for Free" a while back and really need to remember to take it with me when walking the dog. It is an excellent book with clear pictures and descriptions and covers coastal as well as inland plants and fungi etc.

Although the book is great for reference and would be a great help after an event, I think the best way forward to learn is to go on an organised walk. There are too many plants (not just fungi) that have a note next to them that reads something like "dont confuse this plant with "X" which looks similar but is lethal".

There seems to be more and more of the Wild Food type walks around these days and they are relatively cheap.

I have a weekend wilderness survival course booked, part of which is a section on edible and medicinal wild plants, so hopefully that will give me the kick up the backside I need to get learning.
28 September 2011, 10:50,
JD,

On the main site I suggested walking around looking for everything. Look at food but also look at what is in your neighbours gardens, things that you might find a use for when they are gone. Kill two birds with one stone.
Skean Dhude
28 September 2011, 15:13,
An excellent herb to use is the Burdock. The Japanese use it as a vegetable and their name for it is Gobo. Use the stems and peel them and steam as you would Asparagus. Use the leaves as you would other vegetables but cut out the rib that runs through the centre, which is very course and can be indigestable. The root too can be used as a root vegetable. They may not appeal to you but they might well help to keep you alive when in a survival situation. Kenneth Eames.
29 September 2011, 18:54,
I found the burdock in my foraging book. the only problem is that nature doesn't have them looking exactly like the ones pictured. I've been looking for it but can't find it near me. I have a local woods near me and plan to get the whole woods catalogued.
Skean Dhude
30 September 2011, 05:26,
The leaf of the Burdock is shaped like an Asian elephants ear. Towards the end of autumn the seeds arrive covered with little spines which stick to your clothes, they are called burs. The leaves are slightly lighter in colour underneath the leaf and oftentimes have a slightly wooly cover. There is a small reddish tuft at the top of the seed. At this time of the year the seed should help you to identify the plant. You will not likely find it in the woods, it is normally found alongside of tracks or edges of fields and roads. Kenneth Eames.
30 September 2011, 09:19,
Ken,

I have a picture with a distrnct thistle looking head. No sightings so far and Dandelion and Nettle doesn't have the same ring to it.
Skean Dhude
30 September 2011, 17:20,
Yes, the head does appear like a small thistle but much smaller. I think that it is a great survival remedy but whether you will find it to your taste I do not know. However, it will keep you alive combined with your Acorns and Pine Cones. Dandelion is rather bitter but if you cover with a flower pot or bucket a week before you eat it it will blanch it and most of the bitterness will be gone. Nettle pudding is made with Nettle leaves and Oatmeal. Enclose in a cloth and boil. Again, it will help to sustain you in hard times. Many more plants out there that will keep the fire of life burning. Kenneth Eames.