Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
butchery
3 February 2012, 08:18,
butchery
We all read up on hunting, many of us own the equipment to get meat to the bunker, on a personal note we own a pet bunny but if push came to shove "Bluebell" would get a crack on the noggin.

But what happens after that? Many of us new to bushcraft and survival haven't got a scooby what to do.
So I found this as a starter video, I may add others if I find there are differences to the Prep. of the critter.

3 February 2012, 08:58,
RE: butchery
If you look around the forum there are some pdf downloads dealing with butchery of all types of animals
3 February 2012, 09:05, (This post was last modified: 3 February 2012, 09:07 by Danger Thompson.)
Ahh I've not found them mate sorry. But in my defence I like to watch and learn while reading doesn't do the full teaching experience for me, if you get my meaning.
Squirrel time, very similar.

I've watched a few squirrel prep. vids but this seems the easiest way.
3 February 2012, 10:41,
hard to skin squirrels tougher pelt to get off take your time
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
3 February 2012, 11:29,
Good advice Barney thank you, like I say I'm new to all this apart from scaring sporting anglers when i caught a fish and twotted it one, gutted it then fired up a porta barbie. They didn't like that.
3 February 2012, 12:38,
We all have different learning requirements which makes my job more of an issue. Videos take up a lot of space compared to PDFs and although I keep everything myself. I can't put everything online because of space limitations. Although me are not at a limit yet so its not a problem yet. I'll put these up when it gets going.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 February 2012, 17:22,
My ex Husband is a Butcher, I've never been to keen on it but my 13 year can skin n gut a rabbit , I kept the boning out knifes in fact I kept all the knifes!
3 February 2012, 17:40,
I've never skinned an animal in my life, so these videos are so helpful.

My girlfriends dad knows the local farmer, so I'm going to see if he can teach me. No doubt he'll have loads of rabbits available for the shooting.

I think my girlfriend would look at me differently though.

What about videos of how to prepare the rabbit skin/fur once you have skinned it? I'd want to learn to preserve them and make gloves or things like that. That would be a very helpful skill as well.
4 February 2012, 13:12, (This post was last modified: 4 February 2012, 13:12 by Tartar Horde.)
I've butchered a lot of rabbits and birds, but i'd rather gut a hundred Rabbits than one Pheasant, after all these years Pheasants still make me gag lol
And Squirrels are very good eating
4 February 2012, 15:07,
(4 February 2012, 13:12)Tartar Horde Wrote: I've butchered a lot of rabbits and birds, but i'd rather gut a hundred Rabbits than one Pheasant, after all these years Pheasants still make me gag lol
And Squirrels are very good eating

Pheasants are easy to de breast, I did one last week. No plucking. No mess and very very quick.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.