Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Raiders - Social housing fences?
4 February 2012, 18:22,
Urban Raiders - Social housing fences?
Just to break away from the other thread on a sub topic. I l be moving in to a council house most likey in the next few months. I am aware you can not alter a council house's fence to make it taller.

So I can still plant tall conifers (or ones that will soon grow taller), some thorny speices below or holly. But still, people can still get through if they really wont to. Any ideas?

I could I put in a taller fence behind the council one?

Or perhaps plant a hedge in and have it laid?
[Image: 2l8wvg6.jpg]
4 February 2012, 19:24,
RE: Urban Raiders - Social housing fences?
Are you sure? I lived in a council house few years back, the original fence in back garden was a railing type thing about waist high, I put a new higher fence up behind it as did most people.
4 February 2012, 19:28,
you can have a 6ft one at the back, perhaps higher, ours is 6ft on top of a 2ft high wall, its just the front you cant alter, 3ft or 1metre near the road is all that is allowed.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 February 2012, 20:11,
I've seen lots of fences in our council estates. Non more than 6ft though.

However, in one of the estates, not a council one, the developers stipulated that no house can have a fence at the front of any height and a fence at the back above 5ft and it's built into the contract. Another example of style over substance. These designers of course don't live on their own estates.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 February 2012, 20:39,
Planning law states that the maximum height of any fence adjacent to a public footpath cannot exceed 1m without planning permission.There may also be stipulations laid down by the original builder.
Any fence between neighbouring properties cannot exceed 2m without planning permisson.Again there may be other stipulations laid down by the original builder.
The way around this is to erect a fence of any height More than 1m away from any public footpath or neighbouring property.
4 February 2012, 21:39,
It depends on the contract and what the council say. Some allow you to modify the back garden fence, others say not at all. Usually the front fence can't be changed at all.

There are some massively thorny bushes available to plant. They have red berried, and 1.5 inch thorns covering each branch. But some councils even restrict the species you are allowed to plant.

Your best bet is to read up on everything in the contract, then take it to a friend with legal knowledge, and get them to read it as well.
5 February 2012, 13:12,
cheers, all, Iv scene back when my parents lived on a estate, people over the road, put hinges on the fence to open it up to park cars on. But one a year when the council come around to replace broken fences, they put it back to orginial. Iv only ever scene higher fences on council houses that are privatly owned.

But cheers I l read up on any future housing contracts,
5 February 2012, 13:46,
My advice would be do what you want, put the fence up. Worse case scenario, you have to take it down
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

5 February 2012, 14:12,
(5 February 2012, 13:46)Reality Jones Wrote: My advice would be do what you want, put the fence up. Worse case scenario, you have to take it down

housing associations dont check that often, ours has a maintenance contract that runs on 5 year cycles-so we only see them every 5 years.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 February 2012, 09:12,
(5 February 2012, 14:12)bigpaul Wrote: housing associations dont check that often, ours has a maintenance contract that runs on 5 year cycles-so we only see them every 5 years.

Every 5 years?!??!?

Deano.....build a moat!!!