Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Treating Blisters
7 February 2012, 23:41,
Treating Blisters
Hello Everyone

I'm currently checking out first aid skills for myself and AlyBear. We'll be sending that information your way when we learn something new.

If you have a blister, do not pop it. It is needed to allow the skin to thicken and heal.

HOW TO BLEED A BLISTER

If the blister gets to the point where it needs to be drained or where it could burst, you need a sewing needle, clean it (alcohol swab, or over a flame) and a piece of cotton thread.

Feed the thread into the needle and push the needle into one SIDE of the blister, and out of the other Side. But do not push the thread out. You need to make sure that you leave the thread sticking out of both sides by at least 1.5cm. The liquid in the blister will seep into the cotton thread and then slowly drip out of the ends sticking outside of the blister. This is a much safer way that just popping or bursting the blister. If you bleed a blister, it is a much more gradual and less harmful way to relieve the pressure and allow the skin time to respond.

Using that system will allow your body to heal while releasing a lot of pressure on the foot.

Once you are done with the string, don't reuse it. You're a minger if you do that. Just chuck it away and get back to trekking.

Messages In This Thread
Treating Blisters - by Scythe13 - 7 February 2012, 23:41
RE: Treating Blisters - by Skean Dhude - 8 February 2012, 11:48
RE: Treating Blisters - by Barneyboy - 8 February 2012, 21:41
RE: Treating Blisters - by uks - 9 February 2012, 01:40
RE: Treating Blisters - by Tony8862 - 15 August 2013, 17:15
RE: Treating Blisters - by Highlander - 15 August 2013, 17:50
RE: Treating Blisters - by Straight Shooter - 15 August 2013, 20:34
RE: Treating Blisters - by I-K-E - 15 August 2013, 20:36
RE: Treating Blisters - by BFG Central - 15 August 2013, 20:50
RE: Treating Blisters - by Grumpy Grandpa - 16 August 2013, 00:13