Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dutch ovens
11 February 2012, 09:27,
Dutch ovens
Dutch Oven Cooking
Watching old cowboy films you will have seen camp fire cooking with a large pot. This will have been a dutch oven used by people for hundreds of years and are still popular today. It has been said that Paul Revere designed the Dutch oven and this design is still in use today.

The early Dutch traders used these pots for trading with Indians. The pots became known as "Dutch ovens." As the pioneers moved west so did the Dutch oven. There have been no improvement made on the cast iron pot from that time to now. There are modern day aluminum Dutch ovens but cast iron for most still rule and is the best for cooking.

The traditional Dutch ovens will have a flat bottom with 3 legs roughly 2 inches long. The handle and lid should be made from cast iron as well. The lid is rimmed so that hot coals will stay on the lid when fitted to the pot. Traditional Dutch ovens are measured in inches (cm), some in europe are measured in litre's.

Buying & Preparing your Dutch Oven
A. A good fitting lid is required. An ill fitting lid can be corrected by rubbing valve grinding paste around the rim and the edge of the lid and spin the lid until a good seal is achieved.

B. You can buy pots either season or not season. If you a season pot tou will not have to bother seasoning it. For an unseasoned pot wash the dutch oven in hot soapy water with a brillo pad you are removing the makers protective waxes or oils. This will be the first and last time you wash it with soap. The pot should be dried quickly so it does'nt start to rust.

C. Seasoning the the pot by rubbing vegetable oil or lard using a cloth. Do the the inside, outside and lid. Never use margarine or butter. Set the lid ajar on the pot and cook in your oven at 180 degrees for 1 hour. To avoid the odor and smoke open windows. After 1 hour allow the pot to cool naturally to a point that the pot can be handled, then apply another coat of veg oil or lard while it is warm and then put back in the oven for another baking at 200 degrees for a futher hour. Let the pan cool down to a safe temperature to be handled and apply its final protective coating of veg oil or lard. The dutch oven is now ready for use.

Cooking with your newly seasoned dutch oven

Dutch ovens can be used to cook in a number of ways frying both deep and shallow, baking, stewing, boiling or roasting. When cooking with a dutch oven there is a formula to control the heat.
8" pot 10-11 coals on top and 5-6 coals on the bottom.

10" pot 13 coals on top and 7 coals on the bottom

12" pot 15 coals on top and 9coals on the bottom

14" pot 17 coals on top and 11 coals on the bottom

16" pot 19 coals on top and 13 coals on the bottom
This is a good starting point for your cooking but after a while you will be able to taken in account other conditions such as air temperture and food being cooked.

Tips
Turn the lid over then you can cook eggs on it.
Try stack cooking after the first Dutch oven is heated properly, a second smaller oven can be set on top with coals added to its lid.

Cleaning and after care for your dutch oven
Remove left over or scrape it it with a spatula. Put an inch or ttwo of water in it and then boil it the let it steam for while then clean with a piece of green nylon scrubbing pad dry it with a tea towel and then apply veg oil or lard inside, outside and lid. Place the lid on slightly ajar to air circulation.

Don'ts
Do not store with water either on the outside or inside your pot will start to rust. n it. The pot will rust!

Do not wash with soapy water. Cast iron has pores which the soapy water will get into tainting the food.

Cast iron pots should never be place empty on a hot fire your pot may crack or even wrap.

Don't put cold food into an hot oven it could crack the oven.

Accessories
Thick gloves, shovel for placing coals and lid lifter

11 February 2012, 15:49,
RE: Dutch ovens
I don't get it.

So a Dutch Oven is just a massive pot you put on a fire?
11 February 2012, 16:50,
Yes you got it in one. It can also hang from a tri-pod
11 February 2012, 17:06,
That's cool.

Thanks UKS. Sounds like a Jamaican pot.
22 May 2013, 19:39,
I love the Dutch ovens/pot. Perfect for making a stew. Nothing better than slow cooking a stew while your building a shelter! Making me hungry just thinking about it
23 May 2013, 00:17,
I totally forgot about this thread! Damn things change!!!

A chef friend is teaching me to cook and I'm now a beast with my Denby. Got a Lacrusse from the mother in law.

I love my Dutch Oven! It's awesome!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 May 2013, 08:52,
(23 May 2013, 00:17)Scythe13 Wrote: I totally forgot about this thread! Damn things change!!!

A chef friend is teaching me to cook and I'm now a beast with my Denby. Got a Lacrusse from the mother in law.

I love my Dutch Oven! It's awesome!!!

its just like all of us pal ,learning all the time
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!