Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating Your Own FAK (First Aid Kit)
11 February 2012, 16:11, (This post was last modified: 11 February 2012, 16:19 by Scythe13.)
Creating Your Own FAK (First Aid Kit)
Hello everyone.

I've just been looking into a FAK. There are so many different things available and LOADS of the stuff seems to be available for free. Let me explain.

Most purchased FAK's have alcohol swabs in them to sterilize equipment and clean cuts and things like that. Some of them also have syringes and needles. Many have condoms as well. Some even have a couple of vitamin bits and bobs.

Here's where it gets fun......your local drug centre will give you those things for free!

If you go to a needle exchange centre, they ask you for your details, but you give your initials, postcode, and D.O.B. and that is all (that's all at the one I used to go to).

After that you can get small syringes (1-5ml I think), and small needles (yellow or orange), which are for heroin users. They also give you vitamin C stuff, alcohol swabs, and stuff like that.

Say you're on steroids and you get loads of needles (blue and green) you get bigger syringes (5-25ml), you get alcohol swabs as well. Some places even provide small plasters. Which will kit you up pretty well.

I think you can even get some of those blue gloves to keep your hands clean.

That's most the stuff in the medical kits already.

If you want condoms and things like that (good for water storage) check out the family planning clinic. Yeah.....beat the system.

If nobody wants to go down that route, I'm going to be getting loads soon, so feel free to drop me a PM.
Links you might want to check out

http://www.harmreduction.co.uk

http://www.harmreduction.co.uk/p/112/Homeless_Pack.html
11 February 2012, 16:36,
RE: Creating Your Own FAK (First Aid Kit)
They only do that in certain areas now. I tried getting some up here. They didn't want any details previously but as soon as I found out they discountinued it.

Take advantage while you can.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 February 2012, 16:55,
I got pre-made FAK'S for the BOB'S but for our big home/bug out kit we are making our own.
11 February 2012, 17:07,
Okay then. Next time I go needle exchange, I'll stock up for everyone.
17 June 2012, 13:53,
Yes - as a trained first aider I have been doing/tweeking two first aid kits a big version for bug in and smaller version for bug out.

The main thing I put in BOTH kits are current meds. You never know what's round the corner, even a potential fire in your home, so if I need to grab by bug out bag in the middle of the night from a fire, I know I have my immediate meds in my bug out first aid kit.
20 June 2012, 16:44,
I get loads I "old" bandages and the like from work. They can't use stuff after te expiration on bandages etc. thy replaced all te old first aid kits with new ones so I bagged myself a nice old looking tin box fold out that smells great. It's full o bandages. I just need to Put a tin foil lanky and some knife blades in there and it's pretty much done
20 June 2012, 20:52,
I must say mine looks sad at the mome
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
20 June 2012, 23:10,
for splints for broken fingers go to mc donalds/subway. they have 4inch ish wooden stirrers. they are also good for kindling.
need to make a good first aid kit for my bug out bag
20 June 2012, 23:21,
Sorry my last reply hasn't come out right
My kits a bit sad at the moment but I'm adding to it slowly, I have my basics plasters, bandages etc. I am thinking of foot powders or sprays don't know what others think any input helpful
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
20 June 2012, 23:29,
foot powder is good, have you seen the sports bandages that tennis players use,

- Premium Kinesiology Tape
- Relieves pain and inflammation
- Improves blood flow
- Assists recovery
it looks a good thing to add in a kit if you have to walk to get the hell out of somewhere fast carrying a bug out bag. As i dont drive, and would be walking or cycleing to get anywhere it would be of use. i'm thinking if something big happens people will be trying to get into the countryside. so rioads will be gridlocked