Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
S10 Respirator Info
17 February 2012, 03:13,
S10 Respirator Info
Useful info for anyone with an S10 :-

S10
Back to the top
Q: How many sizes are the S10 available?
A: There are three sizes available with a six buckle fit allowing quick donning:
Size 1 – Large
Size 2 – Medium
Size 3 – Small
Size 4 – Extra Small

Q: How do I make sure I have the right size of S10?
A. Avon can provide you with a sizing tool which helps to assign the right size of mask. Also, as a rule of thumb, your eyes should be at, or just above, the centre line of the eye lenses.Wearers must always conduct a negative pressure fit check prior to use to make sure the mask will seal to the face. Also wearers are advised to conduct a quantitative fit test, at least annually, to confirm the correct face mask size has been selected. Only use a mask if a fit check is satisfactorily completed.

Q: Can glasses be worn with the S10?
A: Yes: See answer given in the general section regarding spectacles.

Q: What is the shelf life of the S10?
A: The S10 mask has a 20 year shelf life based on the mask being correctly stored prior to use (instructions on storage are provided upon purchase). Once in use, components subject to ageing (especially valves) must be routinely replaced to maximise useful life. If any deterioration or damage is suspected to any component, replace immediately. See the user manual for component replacement intervals.

Q: Are the filters from old S10 respirators hazardous?
A: The activated charcoal in old S10 respirator canisters, designated L12A1, is impregnated with Chromium, which is a known carcinogen. Fortunately the charcoal is fully contained inside the plastic canister body and presents no hazard if the canister is intact. Seek the advice of local Health and Safety officials regarding disposal of old or used canisters
17 February 2012, 07:12,
RE: S10 Respirator Info
Thanks Timelord.

How well would a mask work if the user has a beard?

I'm guessing it would be pretty useless, which may present problems after an event if you have been unable to shave for a couple of weeks or need to use the mask several months after an event and in that time you have grown a full beard
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

17 February 2012, 07:43,
RJ the mask would not work for someone with a beard. Because the hairs of your beard would allow chemical agents to enter. You have to be clean shaven. You can shave but each time you remove the S10 you would have to decontaiminate the mask and your face. I remember doing it but it took forever.
Failure is NOT an option
17 February 2012, 11:57,
no good for me then, full beard!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 February 2012, 14:19,
(17 February 2012, 11:57)bigpaul Wrote: no good for me then, full beard!Tongue

Perhaps when your life depended on it you might consider shaving.

Shaving or a horrible death? Mmm. Let me think.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 February 2012, 14:29,
(17 February 2012, 14:19)Skean Dhude Wrote:

nope, beard is part of my religion, i cant go to Valhalla without my beardTongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 February 2012, 19:21,
(17 February 2012, 14:29)bigpaul Wrote:
(17 February 2012, 14:19)Skean Dhude Wrote:

nope, beard is part of my religion, i cant go to Valhalla without my beardTongue

I get the feeling your just waiting for Fenris to consume the sun BP and then Ragnorak!!
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

17 February 2012, 21:53,
Vaseline or some similar substance is the recommended solution to create a bead/mask seal.
17 February 2012, 23:28,
Vaseline will cause the respirator to slip off the face. Try running in a C.F.O. and full NBC.
Failure is NOT an option
18 February 2012, 20:08,
We should try this at a meet. Could be entertaining! :-)