Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient seeds longevity
22 February 2012, 00:18,
Ancient seeds longevity
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/scientists-rege...28389.html
22 February 2012, 06:49,
RE: Ancient seeds longevity
Wheat found in the pyramids were propagated soon after they were found and produced a good crop. The conditions in the Pyramid must have been ideal in retaining its viability. Old seeds are always worth a try. You can test a few for viability by placing them on a rag that is imersed in a pan of water. The water should be about an eigth of an inch of water. The word eigth does not look right to me but at this moment I am not sure if its spelled correctly. One of those moments. Kenneth Eames.
22 February 2012, 15:04,
We all know you meant an eighth. Don't worry about it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 February 2012, 15:09,
(22 February 2012, 15:04)Skean Dhude Wrote: We all know you meant an eighth. Don't worry about it.

I don't understand this foreign gobbldygoop. The man clearly mean 1/8th, SD.
22 February 2012, 23:25,
(22 February 2012, 06:49)Kenneth Eames Wrote: Wheat found in the pyramids were propagated soon after they were found and produced a good crop. The conditions in the Pyramid must have been ideal in retaining its viability. Old seeds are always worth a try. You can test a few for viability by placing them on a rag that is imersed in a pan of water. The water should be about an eigth of an inch of water. The word eigth does not look right to me but at this moment I am not sure if its spelled correctly. One of those moments. Kenneth Eames.

EIGHT / EIGHTH
23 December 2012, 19:36,
This is the only thread I could find on the storage of seeds,..and sadly the link provided has been removed.

Storing seeds is something I have been wanting to do, I have been doing a bit of reading and it seems that seeds dont last long unless in a special vault.

K.E,...I know that you mentioned seeds from the Pyramids haveing been grown, but I have also read that this didnt happen, they disintergrated soon after the pointy things were open to the air,.... but either way

Does anyone have any ideas?,... would you keep them unopened and store in a jar all packets together?,... would you buy lots of small packets as opposed to larger quantity,..and what would you buy?

I am thinking of the more food value seeds like all kinds of beans, and large leaf greens,... and at the moment I am thinking that I would buy small packets, hoping that most would last.

I have found a good site that give storage periods,..and not many seed will last longer that two or three years,... not that it is a problem, its one of those items that you can replace every spring
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 December 2012, 23:34,
Allegedly if you store them in a fridge (cool & dark) they keep for many years.

My personal experience, I've used 10 year old packets of seeds stored at room temperature before & some have grown fine. The rate of successful germination reduces as each year passes (I had read this & my experience seems to tally up), but some will still grow.

Keep them dry & cool (they won't germinate if temperature is too cold) & should have no bother. All the "sow by" dates are about as useful as "sell by" dates in supermarkets.
24 December 2012, 09:57,
You can propagate some seeds found in Ancient Egyptian tombs, but you won't be able to grow any crops from them as they will not grow full-term. Ancient varitys of wheat Emmer for instance, are very hardy compared to mordern strains. Most modern shop bought seeds will only store for several years, then it's matter of diminishing returns. I know this first had as I work as an environmental archaeologist in the Middle East for several months each year.
24 December 2012, 16:16,
How would you buy your seeds?, would you go for the small packets or a larger amount?,.. my thoughts at the moment are that because they will need to be replaced every two years or so, that the small packets would be best,... Bulk would be ok for a prepper group maybe, but might be harder to keep
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 December 2012, 16:55,
Go bulk and repeat every few years. You should get a decent deal and because I don't throw away the old, seeds are small, even if only 10% are viable I have a fallback option.

My supplier has retired so I'm on the lookout for more seeds now.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin