Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
EMP
22 February 2012, 19:45,
EMP
how do you stop EMP from messing with your stuff is there away to save radios and things getting fried Smile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
22 February 2012, 19:49,
RE: EMP
(22 February 2012, 19:45)Barneyboy Wrote: how do you stop EMP from messing with your stuff is there away to save radios and things getting fried Smile

Yes Sir, Dissassembly and dispersion is one option EMP I believe only damaged complete electronoc and electromagnetic devices, so apparently putting them in a Faraday Cage protects them, and stripping them down and insulating them for other componants and surrounding them by a metal case can protect your stuff.

22 February 2012, 20:28,
RE: EMP - how to protect
BarneyBoy

Damage from EMP depends on
The magnitude of the pulse
The duration of the pulse
The type of transistor
The magnitude is proportional to 1 divided by the square of the distance (so being twice as far away you experience only ¼ of the magnitude). This is relevant for Nukes but not so much for solar flare.
EMP from a nuke is almost instantaneous in duration but EMP from a solar flair could last hours or even days.
The smaller the transistor the more vulnerable it is to EMP damage (but the less field it will experience due to being smaller)

Things you can do to protect (effectiveness from low to high)

1] Turn off
2] Surge Protection on inputs
3] Disconnect from long leads that can act as ariels and couple noise onto the device (such as power cords)
4] Put in a Faraday cage (isolated inside a metal enclosure with no gaps or holes)

Options 1 and 2 offer only minimal protection but may still be useful if you're at the outer edges of the affected zone.

Obviously options 3 and 4 tend to leave the device inoperable although I have heard of complete Faraday caged rooms with computer servers in them.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
22 February 2012, 20:53,
An electrically bonded aluminium box or cage will do.
An old microwave is an ideal shielded storage box.
Securely wrapped in tinfoil.

read this:-

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

22 February 2012, 23:11,
Faraday cage. That's the only one I know, if you want to keep the items in tact.

If you're okay at taking them appart, then take them appart.

An EMP shorts out complete circuits. As long as they are not complete, you should be okay.
22 February 2012, 23:21,
An EMP induces an electromagnetic energy wave into unshielded conducting material. It is irrelevent wether they are part of a completed circuit or not. What does matter is a whole host of different factors, 1 of which is any unshielded length of conducting material that is part of the construction. Small components have less of this but likewise do not usually need much induced energy to overload the conducting circuitry. There are no guarantees to a components robustness to EMP. It has many variables. It is a complex yet conclusion simple theory. Pls read the above posted article for clarification. TL
24 February 2012, 11:53,
I see this morning this subject is on BBC text, the fact that TPTB are ACTUALLY talking about this as a "likely" event!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 February 2012, 12:10,
(24 February 2012, 11:53)bigpaul Wrote: I see this morning this subject is on BBC text, the fact that TPTB are ACTUALLY talking about this as a "likely" event!

That's an interesting thought. Could well be a nuclear EMP.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next World War was actually a technology war. In the UK, we'd be screwed!!!
24 February 2012, 12:13,
(24 February 2012, 12:10)Scythe13 Wrote:
(24 February 2012, 11:53)bigpaul Wrote: I see this morning this subject is on BBC text, the fact that TPTB are ACTUALLY talking about this as a "likely" event!

That's an interesting thought. Could well be a nuclear EMP.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next World War was actually a technology war. In the UK, we'd be screwed!!!
you speak for yourselfTongue personally i'd welcome a world without technology, i think technology has gone to far already.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 March 2012, 15:52,
Do people think it's likely that individual components (resistors, capacitors etc) would be burnt out by an EMP?

I know they'll all have some charge induced via an EMP but I can't seem to find out if it would be significant enough to worry about. There's no real point stockpiling more than I can fit in a hardened box if they're all going to be fried!