Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Light Weight Shoe Review, Vibram 5 Finger
24 February 2012, 10:06,
Light Weight Shoe Review, Vibram 5 Finger
Hi Everyone,

This is a quick gear review of he Vibram 5 Finger shoes.

Granted the shoes are weird looking and made to be worn by people looking/interested in being barefoot.

I am currently wearing the Vibram 5 Finger shoes right now. I'm in the office and it feels like I'm barefoot. I've got 3 pairs and they are all the most comfortable shoes on earth! It really feels like I'm not wearing shoes at all.

The shoes are super light weight which makes them ideal for a GHB if you need a change of shoes. For example, my work wear is either a suit or whatever I want. Everytime I'm in a suit, I have smart shoes on. I need a change of shoes if I'm ever going to move over a longer distance. So the Vibram's are perfect for adding to the bag, and they do not take up much space either.

If you're into barefoot exercising, then you'll love these shoes! Great for a GHB as well.
24 February 2012, 10:36,
RE: Light Weight Shoe Review, Vibram 5 Finger
Weird looking shoes, but thanks for the details,I loked at them in Durham a few weeks ago, for lightweight use I like the cheap, chearful and cool looking Karrimor Summit LTH in black leather and cordura, very light comfy approach shoes only about £23 a pair, get mine off Amazon, they shine up well enough to wear with a suit. They look like a poor mans Magnum Midnight Spider but not as chunky.

25 February 2012, 09:15,
Salomon Exit 2 GTX

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/exit-2-gtx-p177758

Upper Material: Leather
Waterproof: Yes
Waterproof Technology: GORE-TEX®
Weight Per Pair (g): 445g
Height: Low Cut
Insole: Die cut EVA
Midsole: Moulded EVA
Sole Type: Contragrip
Stiffness: Soft, for low level walks on defined trials
Lacing Type: Standard Lace Up

Not so cheap but well tested by me, all weathers and terrain can't fault them as a light weight option, a good post shtf lightweight trainer.

Go Outdoors has sales from time to time I think I got mine near on half that marked up price, was good deal I remember I bought two pair.
25 February 2012, 10:10,
Hey W & C nice to see you again, I also have a pr of the Exit 2 GTXs, nice quality approach shoes the only bit I dont like about them is the laces, no matter how tight i pull the knot it ALWAYS comes undone, so I have to double knot them which I dont like doing on footwear.

13 March 2012, 14:48,
If you're into running, Vibram Five Fingers are brilliant and they're cost effective, even though they're expensive.

With "normal" running shoes, if you do any serious running you'll need to replace your shoes every 6 months or so as the cushioning compresses and becomes useless.

VFF have no cushioning and so there's nothing to compress. As long as the outer is strong, the shoes work as they did when they were new.

I've got two pairs of VFF and I've had one pair for 2.5 years now and they're still fine. I spent £80 on them but in normal shoes I'd have spent well over £300 in the same time period.

I love the fact that you can run through a stream but by the time you get home, they're dry - assuming you don't live 10 yards from the stream! And when they start to smell you can chuck them in the washing machine.
13 March 2012, 15:10,
Best of all mate, when you have a friend that works for Vibram and can get them at around £35 a pair!!! Oh yes, I have 3 pairs!

They're the ultimate sport shoe, in my opinion. They are good for any sport. They're not going to be better for climbing than normal rock climbing shoes, or better for cycling than those weird clam cycle shoe things. But overall, they average out better performers!

I want to end up with 10ish pairs. That'll last about 20+ years.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 March 2012, 19:45,
I have taken up running and want to add a few things to this thread.

First of all as much as I rate the Salomon Exit 2 GTX for everyday wear and off grid light weight trainer I after week 3 of running in them can no longer continue using them, they are for me a outdoor trekking and roughish terrain soft shoe but they are not running shoes.

I am too old to wear the Vibram 5 Finger I see them as flippers or clown shoes or even part of a monkey suit, that means no disrespect to you scythe, I am sure they are great I just can't at my age been seen wearing them.

I went for a trainer made by Nike called Nike free run +2, all I can say from tired feet and painful shin to refreshed feet and no shin pain they are really good and live up to the claim as a bare foot type running shoe, something to consider.

http://www.jdsports.co.uk/product/nike-f...+-2/45618/

25 March 2012, 20:54,
I'm not being funny but why dont you go bare foot? I go barefoot sometimes and the more you do it the tougher the soles of your feet get, we are after all meant to go bare foot... just look where your walking... and safe areas...People seem to look at you in some distasteful ways sometimes if they see you barefoot... like you've got a turd on your nose... I wonder why people dont like barefoot walkers???
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
25 March 2012, 21:08,
Valid points Mike but I sooner have some protection, these Nikes fit the bill.
5 April 2012, 18:54,
I wanted to update this thread as I now am getting more into this running lark, before I bought the Nike Free+2 there was another running shoe that caught my eye it was called a reebok realflex after reading many reviews I was discourage and went with the Nike, well today I got the Reeboks and my reason was twofold I need to have two pairs of running shoes and also as much as I like the Nike I do find them a touch too tight around my toes, they are now well worn in so I am not over happy with this sizing issues.

I did half my run today in the new Reebok realflex and wow from shop to foot to run they were great the fit is bang on and even better they will break in overtime to an even more perfect fit, the sole over the Nike frees is better as well the buddies act more individual then the Nike sole.

If I had to pick between them it would be the Reebok Realflex every time.

I train twice a day and so due to the slight tightness of the Nikes I will use them for morning training as human feet are smaller after we wake and grow throughout the day, so Nike morning and Reeboks afternoon.

We need to train and fast walking running is a must, it will give us an edge over mobs, and although its a bit early to judge these Reeboks might be up for woodland off road running kind of thing.

Hope this is of use to someone.